PLAY-OFF rivals Wrexham and Chesterfield played out a goalless draw at The Racecourse but the Reds remain in the top-seven.

Dean Keates' side started the day sitting sixth in the National League with the Spireites a point behind in seventh but neither side could find a goal and the Reds are now seventh in the National League.

A draw is not a disaster for Wrexham who have seven games left and it remains tight in the race for a play-off spot.

Keates made two changes from the side that started the win at Woking the previous weekend with Rob Lainton and Theo Vassell returning after both players missed the previous four games through injury.

Goalkeeper Rob Lainton took over between the posts in place of Christian Dibble, who dropped to the substitutes bench, while centre-back Vassell was preferred to Mark Carrington, with the Reds' vice-captain not included in the matchday squad.

After Chesterfield enjoyed a bright start when they won three corners in quick succession, Wrexham created their first chance in the ninth minute as Luke Young's free-kick was only cleared as far as Jordan Davies who failed to hit the target.

Shaun Pearson also headed over from another Young free-kick but Chesterfield were a threat going forward and had a good chance to take the lead in the 25th minute as new signing Danny Rowe threaded a superb ball through to Kairo Mitchell but Lainton denied the striker.

Spireites keeper Grant Smith was also called into action to keep out Gold Omotayo's close range effort and he also saved Reece Hall-Johnson's curling shot as it remained goalless at the break.

Mitchell had the first opportunity of the second half but his low drive was saved by Lainton and the striker also headed wide from Laurence Maguire's cross.

Chesterfield were enjoying a lot of possession and came close to breaking the deadlock in the 62nd minute when Joel Taylor struck the crossbar from an acute angle and Fraser Kerr's follow-up was brilliantly cleared off the line by Vassell.

It was a left-off for Wrexham who had a rare sight of goal when Young's cross took a wicked bounce and had to be tipped over the bar by Smith.

Back came the visitors and substitute Nathan Tyson's shot from outside the area was brilliantly saved by Lainton and following a counter attack, the Spireites saw the Reds' goalkeeper again deny the striker.

Tyson could have won it for Chesterfield but the striker headed wide in added time from Joel Taylor's cross and it finished all square.

Wrexham (3-5-2): Lainton; Kelleher, Pearson, Vassell; Hall-Johnson, Rutherford, Young, Davies, Reckord (Harris 65); Omotayo, Angus (Marsh-Brown 72). Subs: Dibble, French, Sang.

Chesterfield (3-5-2): Smith; Kerr, Gunning, Maguire; Carline, Weston, Okeleke, Clarke (Whelan 72), Taylor; Mitchell (Tyson 72), Rowe. Subs not used: Yarney, Mandeville, Yussuf.