IT was not a happy Easter for Wrexham who suffered a second successive defeat against Torquay United that meant the Reds dropped out of the play-off places.

Having lost 1-0 at Notts County on Good Friday, Dean Keates' side returned to The Racecourse looking to get the promotion challenge back on track against title-contenders Torquay.

The game was heading for a goalless draw despite both sides having chances but the Gulls struck in added time to inflict another 1-0 reversal on Wrexham.

It means the Reds, who had only lost once in 14 outings prior to the back-to-back defeats over Easter, have slipped to eighth in the National League, kept out of the play-off places on goal difference by Halifax.

The Wrexham line-up showed four changes from the side that started the defeat against Notts County three days earlier.

Two were in defence as Keates opted to rest captain Shaun Pearson, who has played two games in quick succession after returning from a three months absence, while Theo Vassell was missing after suffering a head wound at Meadow Lane.

Fiacre Kelleher and Mark Carrington took over in the back three from Pearson and Vassell, while midfielder Dan Jarvis came into the team for Jordan Ponticelli.

Ponticelli went off with another hamstring injury against the Magpies which left Keates will only one recognised striker - Dior Angus - as top scorer Kwame Thomas is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after rupturing an Achilles' in training last week while Jake Bickerstaff is on loan at Caernarfon and cannot be recalled.

The fourth change was not planned as goalkeeper Rob Lainton pulled up in the warm-up and had to be replaced by Christian Dibble.

Torquay made a bright start and Adam Randell fired wide before Asa Hall's header saw saved by Dibble.

The Reds' goalkeeper made an even better stop to keep out Armani Little's low drive while Wrexham countered as Jordan Davies played in Angus who ran at goal and brought a save out of Lucas Covolan.

Joe Lewis headed wide for Torquay but Wrexham came close to breaking the deadlock with two excellent chances.

Davies struck the crossbar with a fantastic free-kick from just outside the area and following a quick break, Jarvis played the ball to the back-post where Jamie Reckord was denied by Covolan.

It was end to end with Little's free-kick falling wide for the Gulls who also saw Hall's effort kept out by Dibble just before the break.

Ben Wynter's drive landed wide for Torquay at the start of the second half while Wrexham almost scored a spectacular goal.

Davies raced onto Kelleher's long clearance and spotted Covolan off his line but his long range effort went wide.

Keates made his first change on the hour mark with Paul Rutherford replacing Jarvis but Dibble had to be alert and get down low to deny Hall as Torquay had another sight of goal.

Back came Wrexham and Davies had a header cleared off the line by Lewis while Reece Hall-Johnson brought a save out of Covolan who also denied Jay Harris.

Wrexham made a strong finish and Kelleher's header was turned around the post by Covolan and Davies headed against the post from the resulting corner.

It looked like ending in a draw but Torquay scored in the third minute of injury time.

Wrexham failed to clear the danger and Sam Sherring fired home to clinch three points for Torquay.

Wrexham (3-4-2-1): Dibble; French, Kelleher, Carrington; Hall-Johnson, Harris, Young, Reckord; Davies (Pearson 90), Jarvis (Rutherford 60); Angus. Subs not used: Redmond, Horsfield, Durrell.

Torquay United (4-4-2): Covolan; Wynter, Sherring, Lewis, Law; Randell, Lemonheigh-Evans (Andrews 55), Hall, Little; Mbunga-Kimpioka (Waters 28); Wright (Boden 63). Subs not used: MacDonald, Moxey.