KWAME THOMAS missed today's 1-0 defeat against Notts County at Meadow Lane and won't play any part in Wrexham's run-in after rupturing an Achilles.

The Reds' striker, top scorer with nine goals this season, sustained the injury in training on Thursday and will miss the rest of the season.

It is a huge blow to Wrexham's promotion prospects with Thomas contributing assists as well as goals.

Thomas was absent as Wrexham lost against play-off rivals County to suffer just a second defeat in 15 outings in the push for promotion.

To make matters worse, Jordan Ponticelli, who replaced Thomas in attack, was forced off injured in the 28th minute as his stop-start campaign continued - leaving Reds' boss Dean Keates with only one recognised striker in Dior Angus at Meadow Lane.

Ponticelli took over from Thomas in the only change from the side that started Saturday's 3-0 win over Bromley, while centre-back Fiacre Kelleher was available after serving a one match suspension and was named on the substitutes bench.

Wrexham were quick out of the blocks as they took the game to County and Angus raced onto Ponticelli's flick-on and brought a first minute save out of Sam Slocombe who also made a comfortable stop from Luke Young.

Slocombe did well to push another goalbound effort away at his near post as the Reds continued their lively start, Jordan Davies fired wide and Young wasn't far away with a curling effort that was inches away from finding the back of the net.

Jordan Barnett cleared the bar with County's first chance on 18 minutes following a good move and Kyle Wootton's header was deflected over the bar with the Magpies claiming the ball struck a Wrexham hand but referee Steven Copeland gave a corner rather than a penalty.

Keates was dealt another blow when Ponticelli was forced off injured just before the half-hour mark with Elliott Durrell coming on in his place.

It remained goalless at the break and Angus saw a shot blocked by a defender at the start of the second half after good work by Durrell.

Durrell's shot from the edge of the area took a deflection and fell narrowly wide before Carl Roberts' drive took a deflection at the other end to win County a corner from which they took an 80th minute lead.

Barnett's corner was headed down by Connell Rawlinson and Mark Ellis scored.

Dan Jarvis replaced Jay Harris as Wrexham sought a way back into the game and Kelleher also replaced Davies.

County were reduced to 10 men in the 90th minute when striker Kyle Wootton was shown a second yellow card after Theo Vassell went down and had to be stretchered off as the Reds were also left a man short.

Jarvis' stoppage time effort was blocked by a defender and Reece Hall-Johnson only just cleared the bar but Wrexham were unable to get the equaliser.

Notts County (3-5-2): Slocombe; Chicksen, Ellis, Rawlinson; Barnett, O'Brien (Roberts 77), Reeves, Griffiths, Boldewijn; Knowles (Knight 68), Wootton. Subs: Kelly-Evans, Rodgrigues, Miller.

Wrexham (3-4-1-2): Lainton; French, Pearson, Vassell; Hall-Johnson, Harris (Jarvis 82), Young, Reckord; Davies (Kelleher 88); Ponticelli (Durrell 28), Angus. Subs: Dibble, Carrington.