WREXHAM slipped to a first defeat of the year as the Reds lost 2-1 against Chesterfield at The Technique Stadium.

Dean Keates' side were looking to build on the 3-1 victory over Dover in the first game of 2021 the previous weekend but the Spireites clinched maximum points.

Keates named an unchanged side, keeping faith with the starting XI that helped get the better of Dover that took Wrexham up to eighth place in the National League.

Wrexham's hopes of making it two wins in a row took an early blow as Chesterfield went ahead in the ninth minute.

Reece Hall-Johnson did not get enough on his header back to Rob Lainton from Jack McCourt's cross and Akwasi Asante beat the Reds' goalkeeper with a neat volley.

Wrexham were struggling to string passes together and Asante saw another shot saved by Lainton.

However, the Reds were back on level terms after they were awarded a controversial penalty on 20 minutes.

Jordan Davies' shot deflected off McCourt who was adjudged to have handled the ball, although it seemed harsh on the Spireites midfielder.

Young stepped up and converted his spot-kick for the second successful game to make it 1-1.

There was an improvement from Wrexham after the goal, although Dan Jarvis should have done better when he failed to pick out a team-mate following a promising break, and the Reds forced a series of corners without creating anything of note.

Chesterfield had a penalty appeal turned down after claiming George Carline's long throw-in had struck an arm and it remained all-square at the break.

The Spireites were quick out of the blocks when the second half kicked off and Marcus Dinanga's header struck the crossbar with Lainton appearing to have got a vital touch.

Keates made a change in the 57th minute with forgotten man Devonte Redmond replacing Jarvis for his first appearance of the season.

Wrexham created a good chance but Jordan Ponticelli's effort was blocked by a defender from Davies' pull back.

Alex Whittle fired over for Chesterfield who then created more openings.

Lainton did well to stop a Joe Rowley cross from sneaking in and the Reds' goalkeeper punched a cross clear before getting back into position to save Carline's effort.

Fiacre Kelleher made a decent block to deny Thomas Whelan following good work by Rowley while Keates made a double substitution with six minutes remaining as Elliott Durrell and Paul Rutherford replaced Ponticelli and Hall-Johnson.

However, Chesterfield scored the winner with two minutes remaining.

Liam Mandeville put Asante through on goal and the former Chester striker slotted past Lainton.

Davies went close to equalising for Wrexham but Chesterfield secured the points.

Chesterfield (3-5-2) Pryzbek; Evans, Hollis, Maguire; Carlisle, Weston, McCourt, Whelan (Mandeville 82), Whittle (Yarney, 75); Dinange (Rowley 64), Asante. Subs: Smith, Gunning.

Wrexham (3-4-1-2): Lainton; Horsfield, Kelleher, Vassell; Hall-Johnson (Rutherford 84), Harris, Young, Davies; Jarvis (Redmond 57); Ponticelli (Durrell 84), Yussuf. Subs: Dibble, Thomas.