NOT many fans were there to watch but the Welsh Cup tie at home to Airbus on December 3 2011 turned out to be such an important one for Wrexham Football Club.

Wrexham had two first team games that day with Andy Morrell's star turns producing a brilliant 1-0 FA Cup second round win at Brentford.

Jamie Tolley smashed in a sensational winner that earned Wrexham a money-spinning trip to Brighton and the television cash from The Racecourse replay that followed.

But back home in front of just 401 fans, Danny Ward played his one and only 'first team' game for Wrexham.

Whether the Liverpool scouts were there that day doesn't matter but the fact that they signed the young Wales shot-stopper less than a year later was probably the most important transfer in Wrexham FC's history.

He only went for £100,000 but the add-on clauses have netted Wrexham close to £2million - money that has definitely kept the afloat in that last nine years.

Ward couldn't help Wrexham to a win that day though.

Louis Moss - the son of former owner Geoff - looked as if he'd won the game but The Wingmakers' Eddie Hope scored a last minute leveller before veteran Mark Allen's extra-time winner.

Cup games have dominated the Reds' fixture list on this day over the years.

Back in 1921, they smashed Crewe Alex 5-2 in an FA Cup fifth qualifying round tie and that scoreline was repeated in 1994 at home to Rotherham United in the second round of the famous competition.

Karl Connolly scored twice to go with efforts from Gary Bennett, Bryan Hughes and Steve Watkin.

In the second round 10 years later, they lost 2-0 at Scunthorpe while there were Welsh Cup wins in 1991 and 1986.

Andy Thackeray and Lee Jones were on target in 1991 in a 2-0 home win against Caerleon while in 1986, big Jim Steel scored the only goal at The Racecourse to see off Hereford United.

One other interesting result on this day came in the 1977/78 promotion season.

Two goals from Graham Whittle earned Arfon Griffiths' Reds a 2-2 draw at Rotherham - the same Millers side who were unceremoniously smashed 7-1 at The Racecourse four months later as Wrexham celebrated promotion to the old Second Division in some style.