MIKE FONDOP won’t get the chance to line up for Aldershot against former club Wrexham tomorrow after seeing red in midweek.

The 26-year-old was sent off in Tuesday’s goalless draw with Maidenhead - just his second appearance since joining the Shots last week - and begins a suspension.

Wrexham supporters immediately took to Fondop when he was brought in by then-Reds’ boss Sam Ricketts in the summer of 2018 after spells in the National League with Guiseley and Halifax Town.

An instant hit when he arrived at The Racecourse, Fondop scored five times in the opening six games to help fire Wrexham to the top of the table, but the goals quickly dried up for the Cameroonian frontman who finished the 2018-19 campaign on loan with Maidenhead.

Fondop joined Chesterfield in August 2019 but although he finished last season as the Spireites’ top scorer with 11 goals in all competitions, he left in the summer after deciding to ‘keep his options open’, according to manager John Pemberton.

A free agent when the delayed 2020-21 season kicked off at the start of October, Fondop signed for Aldershot last Monday on a short-term deal.

On arriving at The Recreation Ground, Fondop said: “I’m happy to have signed, it’s always good to get back involved in the competition.

“I’ve been looking for a new challenge as well, so I’m delighted to sign for the club.”

Brought in to bolster Danny Searle’s attacking options, Fondop was immediately handed a starting role as goals in either half from Toby Edser and Chike Kandi sealed a 2-1 win at Altrincham on Saturday.

But after keeping his place in the team for the midweek showdown with Maidenhead, Fondop was controversially given his marching orders in the 74th minute following confrontations amongst both sets of players.

Although Shots finished the game with 10 men, they held on for a goalless draw which extended the unbeaten run to three games and takes Searle’s side up to 10th place in the National League.

Searle’s men, who finished just a couple of places above the relegation zone when the 2019-20 campaign ended early because of the coronavirus pandemic, are starting to click following a poor start to the season.

Shots kicked off with successive 2-1 defeats against Hartlepool and Sutton before registering a first win at the third attempt - and it was an emphatic one!

Harry Panayiotou, Mohamed Bettamer and Josh Rees put Shots in control at the break with Bettamer and Rees adding to their tallies in the second half to complete a resounding 5-0 victory.

Aldershot followed that up by drawing 2-2 against Eastleigh.

Despite trailing, Shots turned things around to lead 2-1 thanks to Craig Tanner and Alfie Whittingham but the visitors were denied a second win in a row when Eastleigh equalised in the last minute.

After exiting the FA Cup when going down 2-1 to Woking at The Recreation Ground in the fourth qualifying round, Aldershot also lost at home in their next league game when they were thrashed 4-1 by leaders Torquay,

But Searle has turned things around since then with Aldershot heading into tomorrow’s game against Wrexham at The Racecourse unbeaten in three outings.

Panayiotou scored the only goal as the Shots beat Notts County 1-0 and Aldershot then defeated Altrincham 2-1 before Tuesday’s goalless draw with Maidenhead.

It leaves Shots two points away from the play-offs.