The start of Wrexham's 2020/21 National League season is in real danger of being delayed.

Dean Keates' Reds are due to kick-off what is hoped will be a push for promotion at home to Boreham Wood on Saturday, October 3.

But that start date could well be pushed back after Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed that fans would not be able to attend sporting events from October 1.

He said: "We have to acknowledge that the spread of the virus is now affecting our ability to reopen business conferences, exhibitions and large sporting events.

“So we will not be able to do this from October 1 and I recognise the implications for our sports clubs which are the life and soul of our communities, and my right honourable friends the Chancellor and the Culture Secretary are working urgently on what we can do now to support them.”

National League chairman Brian Barwick has previously said he feared that clubs would "suffer severe economic hardship" if spectators were not allowed to return to stadiums in the near future, with teams at that level more reliant on matchday income.

And therefore a delayed start to the season looks increasingly likely, although there are suggestions that some National League clubs are pushing for the campaign to begin on time, regardless of whether fans are allowed to attend or not.

The National League will now consult with their clubs with a board meeting set for Thursday where a decision is expected to be made on the next steps.