NIALL McGUINNESS just couldn’t believe his luck when Nathan Craig wanted to sign for Flint Town United.

“He’s been on my list for ages so when he said he was leaving Caernarfon and was interested in coming here, then it was a no-brainer as far as I was concerned,” said the Flint boss after Craig hit the winner against Newtown in Saturday’s opening game of the season.

Former Wales U21 international Craig, who gave seven years service to his home-town club Caernarfon, curled in a trademark free-kick as The Silkmen celebrated their first game back among Welsh football’s elite in 22 years.

“Nathan’s a ground-breaking signing for Flint and I know he’ll be a real asset this season.”

Craig was part of a new-look back four as Flint picked up three points but McGuinness, who hopes to unveil a new signing before tonight’s trip to Aberystwyth Town, will be forced into making one change as Rob Hughes is suspended following his sending off last Saturday.

McGuinness was desperate to keep Flint’s momentum going but saw Tuesday’s clash at Cefn Druids called off after the Wrexham-based club didn’t comply with Football Association of Wales Covid guidelines.

Aber did play in midweek, drawing 1-1 at Penybont, so McGuinness expects his team to be fresher.

Not that he’s looking forward to the trip to the seaside.

“It’s the worst one journey wise, I think,” added McGuinness. “At least when you’re heading to South Wales it’s all straight roads! This one’s a nightmare, especially on a Friday.

“I’m not a fan of Friday night football anyway. I like Saturday afternoon matches.”

There are just two matches tomorrow with Newtown looking to bounce back from Saturday’s defeat at Flint with a win at Haverfordwest County.

Newtown boss Chris Hughes, whose side were beaten 3-2 at home by Caernarfon on Tuesday, described last Saturday’s defeat as “a bit of a wake-up call”.

“Give credit to Flint, we always expected them to start well,” said Hughes.

Caaernarfon, with ex-Druids boss Huw Griffiths in charge, head to Barry Town United on top of the league, looking to maintain their unbeaten start to the campaign.

The New Saints are back in action on Sunday with boss Scott Ruscoe looking for an instant reaction after Wednesday’s Europe League exit in the Farie Islands.

Torshavn keeper Roi Hentze was both hero and villain as The Saints were knocked out of the second qualifying round in agonising fashion.

The Cymru Premier League side were seconds from an extra-time victory in the Faroe Islands when substitute Stefan Radosavljevic levelled the tie at 2-2, setting the stage for Hentze, who had been at fault for Dean Ebbe’s 112th-minute strike, to redeem himself with two penalty saves in the resulting shootout.

TNS keeper Paul Harrison (pictured below) had to intervene twice early on to prevent defender Ryan Astles from heading into his own net.

Torshavn needed just two minutes of the second half to force their way ahead when frontman Michal Przybylski turned smartly inside the area before beating Harrison.

TNS got themselves back on level terms with nine minutes remaining when Hentze could not prevent substitute Leo Smith’s effort from crossing the line despite making a fine initial save, meaning extra-time was required.

Ebbe put TNS ahead after Hentze had dropped Redmond’s free-kick at his feet, but Radosavljevic stabbed home the equaliser in the second minute of stoppage time to take it to penalties.

Ebbe had the chance to win the shootout and book a trip to either CSKA Sofia or BATE Borisov after Przybylski had rattled the woodwork with his attempt, but Hentze saved from him and Redmond as the home side went through 5-4.