NO-ONE is more frustrated than Michael Jones that Cefn Druids have been caught up in a row and are yet to kick-off their Cymru Premier campaign.

Saturday’s opening day clash at newly promoted Haverfordwest was called off just hours before kick off because of a breach of the ‘Safer Return to Play Protocol’ during the coronavirus pandemic.

Ancients chairman Des Williams hit back at the Welsh FA by saying the club had been unfairly treated, and the midweek clash against Flint Town United was also postponed.

Former Wrexham goalkeeper Michael Jones says the players just want to get back to doing what they do best after a lengthy break from competitive matches due to COVID-19.

“I am chomping at the bit and I know the rest of the lads in the changing room are as well,” said Jones.

“There are a lot of frustrations. It is six months taken out of my football career and I have already had long enough time taken out of it with injuries!

“It is just disappointing. Obviously we are ready to go, we are raring to go, but we have just got to sit tight and when the FAW allow us to play then we will be ready to play.”

Hopeful that Sunday’s trip to Bala Town goes ahead, Jones added: “Fingers crossed we play against Bala on Sunday.

“Hopefully it goes to plan and we can finally get the season underway.”

Jones insists the necessary steps have been taken by the club and guidelines followed during the pandemic.

“Since day one we have had our temperature checked when we have attended training,” said Jones.

“They ask if you have got any symptoms, there is a one-way structure in place from the outside in.

“It looks like the club have done all they can but obviously the FAW aren’t happy with something and they decided to call the game off.

“The game on Tuesday was also called off and as players, that isn’t ideal because we haven’t played football for just over six months.”

Druids have been criticised in some quarters on social media but Jones is backing his club amid the controversy.

Jones added: “I saw the comments on social media regarding the club, people slamming the club and there should be a points deduction and stuff.

“Obviously I am going to back the club but at the same time, it is something as players we can’t control.

“We can only control what goes on on the football pitch when we cross that white line.”

Druids’ planned overnight stop in south Wales had been shelved before the postponement was announced, although the players were fully prepared to start the 2020-21 campaign under new manager Bruno Lopes.

Lopes, who has signed a two-year deal, arrives at The Rock after a spell in caretaker charge of Portuguese Primeira Liga side Portimonense, where the 36-year-old was promoted from his role as head coach of the Under-23s.

“From a players’ point of view, we had already prepared for the game through the week,” said Jones.

“It was quite lucky actually because we were going to be travelling down to Haverfordwest on the Friday night but the hotel down there would only allow one player per room so it wasn’t financially feasible.

“It was a good job we never down because we would probably have been asleep by the time the game was called off.

“I think we got a text message around 11.30pm saying the game had been called off by the FAW.”