A TRIALIST and strike partner Jake Bickerstaff scored the goals as Wrexham triumphed 2-1 against a Salford City XI at The Racecourse.

The Reds' second pre-season friendly was played in three 40-minute periods and Dean Keates saw his side score both of their goals in the final session through trialist E and first year professional Bickerstaff to lead 2-0.

Salford pulled a goal back but Wrexham weren't to be denied a second successive pre-season win.

Success over Salford, whose first team began their League Two campaign the same afternoon against Exeter, came on the back of Tuesday's 4-1 victory against Cefn Druids.

Striker Jordan Ponticelli, who missed the clash with Druids as a precaution because of a head injury, was included in the side that took to the pitch for the first period.

It was a scrappy start with a couple of half chances for the visitors blocked by Wrexham players.

Ponticelli's strike from the edge of the area was easily dealt with but the Reds struggled to get a foothold in the game and with Salford on top, Rob Lainton did well to turn Hayden Campbell's shot behind in the 25th minute.

Keates made his first change just after the half-hour mark as Adi Yussuf replaced Ponticelli while strike partner Kwame Thomas headed wide from a free-kick.

Wrexham made a bright start to the second period with Yussuf's drive blocked by keeper Nick Hayes.

Salford responded with Momodou Touray bringing a smart save out of Lainton while Yussuf was thwarted by Hayes shortly after Keates introduced a different side for the second hour with the striker the only player to stay on.

It was still goalless when the game entered the third period but Wrexham took an 87th minute lead.

Bickerstaff challenged a defender on the edge of the area and the ball dropped for Trialist E who calmly slotted past the visitors' goalkeeper.

Wrexham were dominating and Theo Vassell saw a powerful header saved by the visiting goalkeeper as the Reds pressed for a second goal.

Jake Bickerstaff fired narrowly wide but the striker found the net in the 102nd minute as he slotted home after being put through on goal to double Wrexham's advantage.

Salford reduced the deficit after 111 minutes from the penalty spot after trialist C committed a foul in the area but Wrexham went straight back on the attack and Bickerstaff's goalbound effort was blocked by a defender.

And after two hours of action it was Wrexham who prevailed.

Wrexham first hour (4-4-2): Lainton; Hall-Johnson, Cleworth, Pearson, Trialist A; Davies, Harris, Carrington, Jarvis; Ponticelli (Yussuf 32), Thomas.

Wrexham second hour (4-4-2): Dibble; Trialist B, Trialist C, Vassell, Reckford; Trialist D, Redmond, Young, Jeffrey; Trialist E, Yussuf (Bickerstaff 71).

Salford City: Hayes, Loughlan, Collins, Hanfrey, Berkoe, Evans, Campbell, Johnston, Sargent, Hawkins, Touray.