IN the hunt for Reds October records, it’s a good job Wrexham don’t play Welsh rivals Cardiff City anymore.

With the new National League season kicking off on October 3, here’s a look at how Wrexham have fared on the first Saturday in October in the last 50 years.

In their final eight years in the Football League - in the new Millennium - the results were superb and they’d have been unbeaten but for a 2-1 home defeat to MK Dons in their penultimate campaign in League Two.

The biggest wins came the season before in 2005 when Mark Jones scored twice and Jon Walters grabbed the other in a 3-0 home thrashing of Stockport County. That matched a 3-0 win at The Racecourse in 1981 when the now club president, Dixie McNeil, bagged a brace and Chester-born Simon Hunt also netted against Sheffield Wednesday in the old Second Division.

Overall in the 38 games played on that weekend between 1970 and 2007, Wrexham won 14, drew 11 and lost 13.

The defeats to Cardiff kicked off the nightmare 90s for Wrexham with Brian Flynn’s side stopping the rot with their only win of that decade at home to Lincoln City in 1998 when home-grown players Dave Brammer and Neil Roberts (pictured below) got the goals.

The Reds lost 1-0 in 1990 but the trip to Ninian Park exactly 12 months later was particularly gruesome - a 5-0 thrashing that had South Walian supporters gloating for days to come.

Eight years later Wrexham were also in the wrong end of a 5-1 thumping at Gillingham’s Priestfield Stadium.

In 2000, Flynn’s side did get it right in a 4-3 thriller at Oxford United where Darren Ferguson, Mark McGregor, Martyn Chalk and Carlos Edwards - with a last minute winner - were all on the scoresheet.

Twelve months later new boss Denis Smith was celebrating his first game in charge with a 1-0 home win against Queen’s Park Rangers where Michael Blackwood scored the only goal of the game.

Bournemouth - relegated from the Premier League on Sunday - were another team to feature on that day.

Graham Whittle scored both in a 2-0 away win in 1974 while eight years later, John Muldoon was the match-winner in a 1-0 victory at The Racecourse. The two team also drew 1-1 in Wrexham in 1972.

Mickey Thomas’ goal in a the 2-1 defeat at Luton in 1978 was one of his final strikes before a big money move to Manchester United while he great mate, Joey Jones (pictured right) was on the scoresheet along with Steve Fox a year later when the Reds were 2-0 winners at Fulham.