JORDAN EVANS believes his formative years in the professional game can help him make a success of his latest move.

The 24-year-old has put pen-to-paper on a deal at Newtown after opting to leave Airbus following the club’s relegation to Cymru North.

Evans came through the ranks at Wrexham before leaving for Fulham, who he failed to make a first-team appearance for, but enjoyed a successful loan spell at Oxford United, helping win promotion from League Two and playing in the Football League Trophy defeat to Barnsley at Wembley.

The versatile left-sided player returned to Wrexham after departing Fulham, but opted against signing a new deal, instead heading for Bala Town, where he won the Welsh Cup.

Evans had ambitions to work his way back into the English pyramid, but a move failed to materialise, and after spells at Cefn Druids and Airbus, he’s ready to impress for Newtown.

“I really enjoyed my time at Bala, qualified for Europe both seasons and also the Welsh Cup win, scoring in the final was amazing. One of my best days in football for sure,” the former Wales Under-21 international told Newtown’s official website.

“I hadn’t long left Wrexham and did have ambitions of working my way back up the leagues in England maybe, but for a few reasons it didn’t quite work out which is absolutely fine, I’m really enjoying playing my football in the Cymru Premier now and can’t wait to get going at Newtown next season.

“I was fortunate in my early years, I had five years at Fulham, we got to the Youth Cup final and I captained the Under-23’s.

“I made the bench for the first-team, I didn’t get on but the experience I gained has been invaluable. I made my pro debut on loan at Oxford United, that was an unbelievable six months - scoring my first pro goal, playing at Wembley and getting promoted from League Two - it was a dream.

“Then the Wrexham move was brilliant also, obviously playing for my hometown club was special.

“I feel I’d had a bit of a whirlwind all by the age of 21, so it definitely stands me in good stead for a new challenge and hopefully pushing on both personally and as a team this season at Newtown.”

Evans admits that he was sold on the move to Newtown as soon as he’d spoken to Robins’ boss Chris Hughes, who had also managed to convince George Hughes to return to Latham Park from Airbus.

“‘I spoke to George and a few other boys about Newtown, Chris then give me a ring and we had a really good chat and to be honest I was sold after that first phone call,” he said.

“I spoke to a few boys about Newtown and honestly no one had a bad word to say about the club.

“Obviously Chris again was a big pull, I loved what he had to say about the club, philosophy of playing and coaching. Newtown fans can expect someone who’s direct, hard working. I like to get on the ball and make things happen.”

While Evans and Hughes have left the Airfield, Steve O’Shaughnessy’s men have managed to keep hold of striker Oli Lanceley. The youngster, who scored three goals for the first-team last term, turned down offers from elsewhere.