DEAN KEATES has told his players to continue training in their own time as Wrexham await for confirmation from the National League regarding their plans for the season.

The National League campaign has been suspended until April 3 at the earliest because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Reds’ first team squad were last week issued with strict regimes and monitoring provision to complete training at their home locations, with a view to reporting back to The Racecourse yesterday.

However, the country has been put on lockdown because of the pandemic and the players - in line with government guidelines allowing them to go outside and take one form of exercise a day - now have new training programmes to follow.

“We have tweaked the programme,” said Keates.

“We have upped it a little bit more purely because the whole country is on lockdown for three weeks and it would be a month before we actually have contact with the players again.

“I sent out a different programme to the lads on Tuesday.

“Obviously all decisions are out of our hands; the whole country is on lockdown, and rightly so, but the players have still got that opportunity to go out in the day and exercise with that little bit of time we are allowed.

“The players are doing what is expected of them and we are going about our business as professionally as we can.

“But this is bigger and beyond football and ultimately it is about everybody staying safe and keeping healthy.”

Wrexham are battling to avoid relegation from the fifth tier with the 20th placed Reds just one point above the drop zone.

There are nine games remaining and although no official date has been given on when the season will resume, Keates won’t lose sight of the bigger picture.

“There is no clarity for anybody on where we stand and what is happening so it is hard,” said Keates.

“You look at the league table, we are in the predicament we are in and we have got nine games left; I said the other week that we have got to try and go out and win nine games.

“Nothing changes with that when we get back playing and the players are doing their part to keep themselves ticking over.”

Three Wrexham players self-isolated after showing symptoms of the pandemic but the trio are fighting-fit and there have been no fresh cases.

“Two of the players joined back in the programme earlier this week and the other one will jump back on tomorrow,” added Keates.