LUKE SUMMERFIELD is unlikely to feature in Wrexham's final 11 games but Dean Keates feared the midfielder's potential season-ending injury was life-threatening.

Summerfield completed 90 minutes against Chesterfield on February 8 but complained of a calf problem in the aftermath of the 3-2 defeat.

Keates admits there were concerns Summerfield had deep vein thrombosis which can be fatal if left undiagnosed or untreated.

But while the injury is not that serious, a torn calf could keep the 32-year-old out of relegation-threatened Wrexham's crucial run-in.

"If he comes back this season I will be surprised," said Keates, who was without Summerfield for Saturday's 2-0 win at Bromley.

"Fair play to the lad, he played two weeks ago against Chesterfield and there was a point where he has torn his calf and he didn’t know; he carried on with it.

"It was massively inflamed on the Sunday night and at the point on Monday where we thought it could be deep vein thrombosis because of how big it swelled.

"He has no recollection of being kicked on it or pulling his calf.

"He eventually got it down and had injections and blood thinners just to make sure it wasn't DVT.

"Eventually he was okay to have a scan and it is a grade two tear, so it will be touch and go whether he is back in time for the end of the season."

Keates has brought in Kyle Barker on loan from Peterborough as cover for Summerfield while fellow midfielder Akil Wright made his comeback from a hernia as as substitute against Bromley.

"It is a massive blow," Keates said about losing Summerfield.

"That is why I added Kyle to the group, and we’ve had Akil come back, so we have got four people in there now ready to go.

"It is unfortunate for Summers, he was starting to find form and doing really well, scoring some great goals.

"It is testament to the player and what he is; he has torn his calf but he has carried on playing."

Keates, also without JJ Hooper against Bromley, saw Davis Keillor-Dunn mark his full Wrexham debut with a well-taken solo goal in the first half, while striker Jordan Ponticelli secured a first ever Reds win at Hayes Lane with a late second.

Keillor-Dunn, a free agent since leaving Scottish Premiership outfit Ross County by mutual consent in September, joined Wrexham during the January transfer window.

Keates felt the attacking midfielder deserved his chance in the side after making three substitute appearances.

"He did well," said Keates. "He is a good little player, it has been a case of getting his minutes up.

"He played on Monday against Salford in the behind closed doors friendly, he got 60 minutes and did really well.

"It's been something I’ve been thinking about that it was the right time to give him a go and he did really well.

"Just towards the end he wanted to stay on but I was looking at fresh legs and when a bit of fatigue kicks in, it is not just your legs that end up going from you, it might be you switch off mentally for a second, and Ruthers came on and got us across the line."

On Keillor-Dunn's goal after a mazy run, Keates added: "He has got great feet, I’ve seen that since he came in.

"It is not just that, he is a great lad. He is a character and everything you want in the changing room.

"He is lively, not the brightest, but he is well thought of, and he has come in and got his reward on the back end of him working hard over the last few weeks."

Kieran Kennedy went off in the second half with a head injury but Keates expects the centre-back to be available for Saturday's trip to high-flying Yeovil as Wrexham, up to 17th in the National League but still only two points above the drop zone, continue their battle to beat the drop.

"He is alright, it was just from the clash of heads in the first half," added Keates. "He came off on the worse end of it.

"It was affecting his vision a little bit second half so that is why we took him off.

"I expect him to be fit for the weekend, it was affecting his vision a little bit."