THE devil was in the detail as Buckley Town climbed out of the relegation zone with an impressive 2-1 victory at Llanrhaeadr.

Phil Molyneux’s first-half strike was cancelled out by Daniel Graham early in the second period, but Buckley bagged the three points they craved courtesy of Aled Bellis’s late penalty.

Bucks boss Dan Moore was delighted to see his side’s hard work pay off as they moved two points clear of the bottom four.

He said: “The game went exactly as we expected, we knew the pitch wouldn’t be great and we knew it wouldn’t be pretty - that’s not a criticism of Llanrhaeadr either but it’s the reality.

“We prepared for the game really well during our sessions last week, we covered detail in key areas of the game which we felt it could be won and lost, and that’s how it worked out.”

Moore was also keen to praise the experienced Molyneux and Jake Roberts, the duo impressing in the final third for Buckley.

“I’m really pleased for Phil Molyneux after he scored and won us the penalty,” continued Moore, whose side return to action tomorrow night at home to Bangor.

“He’s a key player for us and we’re grateful to have someone of his experience to help out the less experienced players.

“I’m also pleased for Jake Roberts. He’s sat on the bench in the last three games and done well when he’s come on in each, so he deserved his chance and his good play created the opportunity to score both goals.”

Gresford Athletic failed to put further distance between themselves and the drop zone after losing 1-0 at high-flying Guilsfield.

Adam Jenkins struck the only goal of the game four minutes from time, not long after Gresford had Ashton Williams sent-off.

Gresford assistant boss Nick Ward, stepping into the top job with Steve Halliwell absent, was left frustrated by the defeat - the Wrexham-based outfit’s first since before Christmas.

“We deserved at least a point,” said Ward. “It was a real sucker-punch to concede four minutes from the end after we’d gone down to 10-men.

“Guilsfield are a solid and competent side with good players, but I thought we were the better side and we should have got something out of the game.”

Gresford’s cause wasn’t helped by the dismissal of Williams and Joe Culshaw seeing red as he prepared to enter the action as a substitute, while the visitors also had a goal from Danny Holland ruled out.

“Ashton’s was a yellow at best,” said Ward. “He’s been sent-off for using excessive force, but was constitutes excessive force? Joe’s was down to confusion over when he could come on and from where, but he was petulant in the end.

“And no-one is going to convince me that the goal we scored through Danny Holland wasn’t a perfectly good goal.

“Danny timed his run and it was a perfectly good goal, but it was ruled out for offside, which left us scratching our heads.”

Ruthin, the team between Gresford and Buckley in the table, lost 3-1 to Conwy, who saw Corrig McGonigle score two penalties after Craig Whelan’s opener.

Ruthin, who had Osian Davies sent-off, replied through Josh Jones.

Rock-bottom Llanfair United lost 3-2 to Colwyn Bay, who led through Toby Jones, Callum Parry and Mitch Bryant before goal from Will Bell and Gethin Jones left them hanging on.