CONNAH’S QUAY NOMADS fired themselves right back in the title race - and Andy Morrison feels that’s the least his side deserve.

Michael Wilde, pictured, scored the only goal of the game as Nomads won 1-0 at Barry Town United, less than 24 hours after leaders The New Saints were beaten 2-1 by Newtown.

After cutting the gap to a single point with nine games remaining, Morrison reflected on the season as a whole, and that frustrating 2-1 defeat at Park Hall before the split.

“That’s exactly where we should be,” said Morrison with reference to the table.

“When we finished the game at Park Hall that was one of the toughest nights I’ve had as a manager.

“For the players to come back from that...we should be five points clear, Connah’s Quay should be five points clear of TNS.

“What happened is something I can’t control, the players can’t control it and we’ve got to take it on the chin and react correctly.

“The reaction - 8-0, 3-0, 1-0 - it talks an unbelievable amount about our players.

“The response has been magnificent.”

Wilde turned in a shot from Michael Bakare to hand Nomads a third straight win in all competitions since the defeat to their title rivals.

Morrison continued: “It’s a terrific result when you look at the strength of their team, bench and what they’ve got in the stand.

“To come here and win is a fantastic achievement.”

Barry, who handed David Cotterill his debut as a substitute, had Kayne McLaggon sent-off in the first period, Morrison believing that it made life tougher for Nomads.

He said: “I think the sending-off effected us more than them. It gave them a freedom and a chance to go and play. It became a bit of a false game, the wind picked up and that negated the extra man really.”

Saints were sunk on Friday as Alex Fletcher, via a deflection, and Lifumpa Mwandwe struck either side of Adrian Cieslewicz’s leveller to hand Newtown all three points.

Saints boss Scott Ruscoe said: “I’m disappointed, frustrated. That wasn’t a performance we’ve seen recently. Totally abject.”

Huw Griffiths’ first game in charge of Caernarfon ended in defeat as Bala Town hit back from a goal down to win 2-1.

Noah Edwards had handed the Canaries a first-half lead, but Chris Venables continued his fine form with a second period brace.