FLINT TOWN UNITED returned to winning ways as boss Niall McGuinness revealed a spur of the moment tactical readjustment proved the catalyst for a 1-0 victory over Bangor City.

New signing Jordan Barrow was thrust into action, the midfielder’s long throw bouncing around the penalty area before Dominic McHugh poked home the only goal of the game.

McGuinness explained: “I’ll be honest, I completely forgot about Jordan’s long throw.

“We had Dom taking the throws and Jordan in the box, but Jordan came over to me and said ‘do you want me to take them?’

“I then remembered Jordan had a long throw and we swapped him for Dom, who has gone on to score.”

McHugh could have been celebrating his second of the game soon after, but the goal was ruled out by the man in the middle.

McGuinness continued: “Dom scored the disallowed goal, but the linesman didn’t give offside, it was the referee.

“Dom has now scored three times this season and two have been ruled out.”

Unlike at Bangor when Flint drew 1-1 after having what they believe was a perfectly good goal ruled out, the Silkmen pocketed all three points on home turf.

“It’s a good three points,” said McGuinness. “It was important to get back to winning ways and to do it against a good team is pleasing.

“We stripped things back, we went back to basics and we did that extremely well.

“We kept a clean sheet, and in truth, we didn’t look like conceding because we were really solid.

“Against Porthmadog when we conceded we fell to bits and it felt like we wouldn’t win, but it was completely different on Saturday.”

McHugh, signed from Connah’s Quay Nomads in the summer, was pleased with a good day’s work, tweeting: “Clean sheet and a goal, not bad.”

Flint remain nine points behind leaders Prestatyn, who were made to work hard for their 1-0 victory over Conwy Borough.

Danny Davies handed Prestatyn a lead midway through the second period, but the home side were up against it soon after as Alex Jones and Jack Higgins were dismissed.

Neil Gibson’s men clung on to all three points however, and Conwy were left empty-handed.

Conwy first team coach Chris Morrell told the club’s Twitter feed: “Our run had to end some time, but it wasn’t without a fight and the lads worked tirelessly to try and get a point.

“I thought we really provided them a tough tactical test, which I’m sure Prestatyn will agree to and out of possession we were excellent, but just needed a bit more composure.

“That will come though as the youngsters are still learning with every game, so we are still in good spirits going into Bangor on Tuesday night.”

Rhyl picked up a hard fought three points as they won 2-1 at Ruthin Town.

Rory Crowther saved a penalty from Llyr Morris before Danny Sullivan put Rhyl in-front and Ruthin’s Garmon Hafal saw red in lively opening quarter.

Mason Blackwell-Jones doubled the Rhyl lead, but Sullivan was dismissed seven minutes into the second period.

Tom Dyer pulled a goal back for Chris Hardy’s men.