STEVE O’SHAUGHNESSY felt Airbus deserved at least a point as more late drama saw Bala Town snatch a 1-0 home win.

With the game almost over, the Cymru Premier’s top marksman, Chris Venables, headed a loose ball past the returning Dave Roberts to win it for Bala.

After losing at home to Penybont courtesy of a late goal, Venables’ header four minutes into stoppage time was tough to take for O’Shaughnessy and Airbus, who proved more than a match for their opponents once again.

“I thought the lads were magnificent,” said O’Shaughnessy.

“The last two games we’ve conceded two minutes from the end and four minutes into injury time. The positives were that everyone was magnificent and we definitely deserved something out of the game.”

O’Shaughnessy knows Airbus, who had George Hughes sent-off late on, need to improve during the remainder of the campaign, but he also feels a little bit of luck wouldn’t go amiss.

“We’ve been inconsistent all season,” he continued. “At the moment we aren’t getting the rub of the green with injuries and decisions, but we’ve got to positive.

“It was a great performance, everyone had put a shift in and we need to take that into our next game against TNS.”

Number one Roberts returned to action after injury, meaning Airbus were able to move Sam Hart to his usual position in defence, O’Shaughnessy pleased to welcome his goalkeeper back.

“He hasn’t had a save to make, or I can’t remember him having one,” said O’Shaughnessy.

“He’s a presence at the back, so we’ve got kick on now.”

Relief was Bala attacker Venables’ overriding emotion as the Lakesiders pocketed a dramatic three points.

“We left it late enough didn’t we?” said Venables. “It was a tough game, we didn’t play to our full potential and I thought Airbus were very good and made life difficult for us.

“I wouldn’t say we were lucky, because you create your own luck, but I’m glad to finish the game that way, that’s for sure.”

Venables also reserved praise for Airbus, who, for the second game this season, ran Bala close.

“We’ve had two really tough games against Airbus, who are a good side with a good squad,” he added. “To pick up three points at home and away against them, on reflection, we are very lucky to get six points.”

Kristian O’Leary got his spell as Carmarthen Town boss off to the best possible start as the Old Gold thumped Cardiff Met 3-0.

Carmarthen were winless heading into the encounter with Christian Edwards’ Archers, a run of form that had left O’Leary’s men rock-bottom and six points adrift of safety.

But the Old Gold rose to the occasion of O’Leary’s first game in charge to put their hosts to the sword.

Luke Bowen and Declan Carroll scored inside 60 seconds to give Carmarthen a 2-0 advantage at the break, before Elliot Scotcher completed a satisfying day for former Swansea City and Wrexham midfielder O’Leary.

“It’s been interesting,” said O’Leary of his first week in charge.

“I wouldn’t say we’ve implemented a lot so far, it’s just about getting the confidence back.”

The New Saints are up to second in the table after they eased to a 2-0 home success over Aberystwyth Town.

Keston Davies struck early to leave Saints in charge, before Ryan Brobbel made the game safe with a second prior to the interval.

Saints boss Scott Ruscoe was pleased with his side’s victory, the former Chester City midfielder saying: “We always look for clean sheets and it was a win with two goals scored in a game, which at times, lacked a little bit of tempo or spark.

“It’s very difficult when players are following you around, man marking and sticking to their task, to get free and any space.

“I’m glad we scored after two minutes because that settled us down, and I thought we were excellent in the first-half.

“In the second-half we stuck to our task, but overall it was very important to get the three points because we don’t play now for two weeks.”