DEAN KEATES secured his first league win since returning for a second spell as Wrexham manager as his side beat Bromley 1-0 at The Racecourse.

It was a much needed first win in seven outings in the National League for Wrexham who remain in the relegation zone, and are now two points adrift of safety.

The starting line-up showed two changes from the side that lost at Torquay on Tuesday.

Captain Shaun Pearson, who missed three games with a hamstring problem, was passed fit and came back into the defence in place of Michael Chambers.

The other change saw Ben Tollitt replace Mark Harris in attack, but there was no place for JJ Hooper who remained sidelined through injury.

There was little between the sides in the early exchanges but Bromley were seeing a lot of the ball and they started to prise openings.

Chris Bush's shot was deflected wide for a corner in the 10th minute while only a brilliant save from Rob Lainton to deny Reeco Hackett-Fairchild prevented the Ravens from taking the lead.

Wrexham were given a scare when Luke Coulson played a teasing ball across goal and Michael Cheek just failed to get a touch for Bromley.

The Ravens' bright start faded and a subdued period ensued with Wrexham finally creating their first chance on 29 minutes as Pearson's header from Luke Young's free-kick was turned behind by keeper Ryan Huddart.

Wrexham had strong claims for a penalty when James Jennings appeared to have been brought down by Joe Kizzi but referee Andrew Miller waved play on.

There was a lack of opportunities at either end but Wrexham almost took the lead just before the break as Bobby Grant whipped in a low cross for Paul Rutherford who brought a brilliant save out of Huddart.

Cheek struck the crossbar for Bromley at the start of the second half but the whistle had already been blown for a handball offence.

Sam Wood also sent in a teasing cross that was just beyond Cheek as Bromley continued to get into the better positions.

The chances were falling to Bromley as Adam Mekki's shot from outside the area deflected wide and Jack Holland's effort found the roof of the net from the resulting corner.

Wrexham finally created a chance as substitute Harris played in Grant who was thwarted by Huddart.

Billy Bingham fired wide for Bromley but Wrexham came even closer as Rutherford's shot was turned away by Huddart.

But the Ravens goalkeeper had no chance as Wrexham took the lead after 78 minutes.

Bromley failed to clear a corner and Young scored with a stunning volley from just outside the area.

Adrian Clifton saw a header saved by Lainton in added time and Kizzi headed across goal as Bromley continued to put the pressure on.

But Wrexham held firm to seal a much needed win.

Wrexham (4-3-3): Lainton; Horsfield (Carrington 87), Lawlor, Pearson, Jennings; Summerfield, Young, Wright; Rutherford, Grant, Tollitt (Harris 62). Subs: Dibble, Oswell, Redmond.

Bromley (4-2-3-1): Huddart; Kizzi, Holland, Bush, Wood; Raymond (Clifton 83), Bingham; Hackett-Fairchild (Edmonds-Green 80), Klass (Mekki 56), Coulson; Cheek. Subs: Naija, Rees.

Attendance: 3,469 (112 from Bromley).