STEVE HALLIWELL hopes for some good fortune in today’s second round draw after Gresford Athletic avoided an upset against Coedpoeth United.

A hat-trick from Jake Eyre and individual efforts from Nathan Williams and Jack Chaloner completed a comfortable 5-0 win for Gresford against Coedpoeth, who had Andy Pryde and Cameron Lewis sent-off in the final 10 minutes.

And Gresford director of football Halliwell wants a ‘kind’ draw this afternoon, saying: “The cup draws since I’ve been involved have not been very kind to us, so it would be good if that could change.

“We’d love to go far in the competition, which is important to us, and the objective was to get past Coedpoeth however we could and go from there.”

It was a stress-free 90 minutes for Halliwell as Gresford showed why they ply their trade two leagues above Karl Fenlon’s men.

“The result was never in doubt,” continued Halliwell. “We missed two or three good opportunities to score a few more goals and we should have kicked on in the second-half.

“Our third goal just before half time killed the game after Coedpoeth had made it hard for us to play on a heavy pitch.

“It was not about performance, but the scoreline was fair and it was good to rest a few players as well.”

Mold Alex brushed aside the challenge of Waterloo Rovers to cruise into the second round.

Kevin Day struck a hat-trick with Danny Warren and Conner Kendrick bagging braces and Rhys Nash completing an 8-1 away win.

Mold boss Mike Cunningham was pleased with an impressive away performance against an in-form Waterloo outfit.

“It was a fantastic display against a side who had won five out of their last five league games,” said Cunningham. “We knew it would be tough but we took our chances and controlled the game throughout.”

Greenfield are also into the net round after they overcame visiting Caersws 3-1.

The reliable Sam Jones struck twice and Connor Hughes added the other goal as Greenfield got the better of their visitors.

Greenfield boss Scott Beck tweeted his delight, writing: “6 wins on the bounce. The Greenfield lads are on fire.”

Beck’s thoughts were echoed by Greenfield defender Liam Simon, who wrote: “Took us 45 minutes to find our feet in the Welsh Cup but managed the game very well and quality came through! Disappointed to concede a soft late goal but take the 3-1 win. Lads are flying at the minute.”

There was no such luck for Rhydymwyn, who were beaten 2-0 at Dyffryn Nantlle Vale.

The Flintshire outfit were caught napping as Robert Hughes and Cynan Davies struck inside the opening 10 minutes of the contest.

Mynydd Isa Spartans and Llanfair United will have to try again next week as heavy rain forced the game to be postponed after an early morning pitch inspection.