A PROUD Steve Halliwell felt Gresford Athletic could - and perhaps should - have got something out of their clash with Rhyl.

Instead it was Eddie Maurice-Jones' Lilywhites who left with the three points after securing a 3-1 away win.

Jake Eyre made Gresford's early dominance count by converting Joe Culshaw's centre, but Rhyl were soon level through Danny Sullivan.

The visitors were on top prior to the break and found the net twice more through Sam Molyneux and Arek Piskorski.

"We were excellent in the first 20 minutes," said Gresford director of football Halliwell. "We scored, but then we sat off and got deeper and deeper.

"The third goal we conceded was a mistake and a killer for us."

But some motivational words and a change of tactics saw Gresford come out strongly after the interval.

Try as they might though, Gresford were unable to get the goal that would have set up a grandstand finish, Eyre hitting a post from the penalty spot with 15 minutes remaining.

"People were feeling sorry for themselves at half-time, so we told them to have a go," continued Halliwell.

"We bossed the second-half and if Jake's penalty goes in we would have got at least a point."

It was a similar story for Corwen as caretaker boss Nick Jones felt a 2-0 defeat to Colwyn Bay failed to tell the whole story.

A wonderful free-kick from Tom McCready and a goal against the run of play for Morgan Owen ultimately settled a contest Corwen more than played their part in.

Jones said: “We were worthy of at least a point, if not three.

“How we haven’t scored I will never know and then they score a wonderful free-kick through Tom McCready, who is the best midfielder in the league for me.

“We never gave up and we’ve missed some really good chances to score before they’ve gone up the other end and got a second.

“You could sense the relief when they scored the second goal.

“Their manager Craig Hogg came up to me at the end and said we were in a false position and that we've got a good team, so that shows how well we played."

Porthmadog picked up a crucial 3-1 win at fellow strugglers Llanfair, who led through Toby Evans.

But John Owen, Jay Gibbs and Ilan ap Gareth won it for Porthmadog.

Adam Jenkins struck a hat-trick and Callum Bromley added the other as Guilsfield won 4-2 against Conwy, who replied through Cory Williams and a Corrig McGonigle penalty.

Ruthin and Bangor played out a 1-1 draw as Gwion Owen cancelled out Simone Rea's opener.