JOHN HASELDIN insists that he and his Holywell Town players will be doing everything they can to put smiles back on the supporters’ faces.

The Wellmen saw their place in the Welsh National League confirmed after Bangor City won their appeal against a points deduction that threatened their Cymru North participation.

Now their future is decided, Haseldin and Holywell are determined to focus on on-field matters.

Haseldin said: “We had an idea with noises coming out on Friday afternoon that Bangor would win their appeal.

“It just means that the last three months have been a waste of time for everyone.”

Holywell will get their season started at home to Brymbo on Monday night, and Haseldin is in a determined mood.

“We’ve kept our dignity in a turbulent time,” added Haseldin. “It’s our responsibility now to put smiles back on the supporters’ faces.

“There are people who live and breathe Holywell Town Football Club and we want to give them something to celebrate after an upsetting and unstable time.”

While Bangor City’s clash with Colwyn Bay was postponed, title-challengers Rhyl and Flint went head-to-head with The Lilywhites running out 2-1 winners.

Mark Cadwallader gave the Silkmen the perfect start by scoring in the fourth minute, before the home side missed two gilt-edged chances to extend their advantage.

Rhyl, who lost Matthew Cook to a suspected broken leg, took confidence from those let-offs with ex-Holywell ace Steve Thomas levelling with a fine half-volley.

And worse was to follow for Flint as Aaron Hasell’s free-kick evaded everyone and found the net to hand Rhyl all three points.

Flint boss Niall McGuinness said: “It’s not the result we wanted, especially after starting the game really well.

“We should have been out of sight after 20 minutes, but we missed two massive opportunities and that was the turning point.

“We weren’t good enough after the first 30 minutes, but if you look at the game as a whole, neither side was good enough to win it.”

Rhyl coach Richard Williams-Cooke was delighted with his side’s effort and endeavour.

He said: “I am absolutely made up for the boys. They worked so hard and wanted it more.”

Penrhyncoch were also 2-1 away winners as Jonathan Evans’ 92nd minute goal secured victory at Llanrhaeadr.

Matthew Williams looked like he’d stolen a point for the hosts with a 90th minute leveller, but Evans added to Liam Lewis’s opener to win it for Penrhyncoch.

Corrig McGonigle’s penalty and Sean McCaffrey handed Conwy a 2-0 win at Porthmadog.