An opening weekend victory for Airbus at Prestatyn was overshadowed by a horrific season-ending injury for Wingmakers midfielder Ashley Williams.

The 30-year-old was left stricken on the ground with a broken leg following a sixth minute challenge by Prestatyn's James Hay, who was instantly sent off for the foul.

Play was halted for an hour while Williams received medical treatment from an ambulance crew before he was taken to hospital.

When the game resumed, the hosts went close to an instant opener when Kieran Ellis' shot was blocked by the legs of Airbus keeper Dave Roberts.

At the other end, Asa Hamilton saw his header tipped over the bar by Ryan Woods before the visitors took the lead when Kristian Platt fired past Town keeper Ryan Woods home with a low free-kick from just outside the box.

Platt went close with another set piece which was parried by Woods, who was forced to leave the field with an injury to be replaced by midfielder Ciran Jones just before the interval.

The deputising keeper proved more than capable as Airbus dominated the second period, making a good stop with his legs to deny Ryan Edwards and then keeping out a powerful Hamilton drive.

Sustained pressure eventually told, however, a right wing cross found sub James Hooper who converted a simple chance one-on-one with Jones to secure a 2-0 victory.

Assistant Airbus manager Andy Thomas said: "It's a good start for us, but it's a game and result that been overshadowed by a disgraceful tackle.

"Ash is waiting for an operation now and that's his season over. For me, players who tackle like that are cowards and deserve much longer bans than the one he'll actually receive.

"Once the game got started I thought we looked comfortable, even on a very poor pitch which has caused two of their lads to go off with injuries.

"The players did well to keep focus after seeing something so horrific early in the game."

Flint kicked off their season in style as they inflicted a 5-2 reverse on Holyhead Hotspur at Cae-y-Castell.

The Sikmen took an early lead as Kai Wallis netting after three minutes after pressuring Hotspur keeper Daniel Williams' attempted pass to his right back, with the ball deflecting into the net.

Mark Cadwallader doubled the hosts lead on 28 minutes with a deftly flicked header from Sam Hart's cross.

The impressive Cadwallader made it 3-0 early in the second half, drilling the ball home from the edge of the area after a swift Flint breakaway.

Hotspur hit back on the hour mark when Alex Jones forced the ball home from a free-kick, but the three goal margin was restored through Andy Brown's bullet header.

The sides exchanged goals in the final 15 minutes as Chris Jones' glancing header gave Hotspur hope before Jack Hampson's close-range finish sealed the points for Flint.

Delighted Flint manager Niall McGuinness said: "It was a really positive start from the lads. The hard work they’ve put in during pre-season has showed on the pitch and to score five times in our opening game is excellent.

"If I'm being hyper-critical then we could have dealt with their set-pieces a little better, but there were some pin-point deliveries from them to be fair.

"I thought we were well-organised and scored in the right times in the game to make it comfortable for ourselves in the end."

Gresford Athletic boss Steve Halliwell was left delighted with his side's all-round display in their 3-1 victory at Denbigh Town.

Contending with a depleted squad for their Cymru Alliance opener, Athletic ran out deserved winners on Friday evening with Denbigh managers Matty Jones and Dewi Llion taking charge of their first competitive game.

But it was former Denbigh man Jake Eyre who put the visitors ahead early on, slotting home from the penalty spot after his cross had struck the hand of home defender Curtis Langton.

Further chances for both sides before the interval went unconverted, with Gresford debutant Jordan MacCarter unfortunate not to score when his effort flashed across the face of goal.

But it was the former Ruthin forward who doubled the lead on 58 minutes, nailing a superb free-kick which gave Denbigh keeper Craig Vernon no chance.

The hosts reduced arrears on 75 minutes when Tony Davies headed home from a corner, with Mark Roberts then dismissed for the hosts for a second bookable offence.

Gresford quickly made their numerical advantage count as Aaron Edwards' well placed shot gave Vernon no chance from 18 yards to make it 3-1.

Bailey Jackson was then cautioned for a second time late on as Denbigh ended the game with nine men and Gresford took the points.

Halliwell said: "I'm very happy overall. We felt like we needed to start strongly after how results went for us at the end of last season.

"We had a few players out but we felt beforehand that three points were definitely attainable and I thought we played very well against a physical Denbigh side.

"Jordan (MacCarter) was superb for us and led the line really well on his debut. It wasn't just his performance though, I thought we were very good in most areas and it's got us off to a great start."

Buckley Town suffered a bruising return to the division as they were sunk 5-1 at Bangor City.

Dan Moore's side found themselves four down at the interval, with strikes from Carl Darlington (2), Les Davies and Tom Field doing the damage.

Buckley pulled a goal back through Keiron Moore nine minutes into the second half, but Craig Harrison's Citizens restored their four goal margin when Davies completed his brace on 65 minutes.

Reflecting on a tough opening day for his side, Moore wrote on social media: "Bad result today for us. Okay performance, very good at times, good learning experience. Thanks to all of our fans who travelled and for backing us as always! Looking forward to next Saturday already!"

A below-par showing from Holywell Town saw Gareth Sudlow's reign as manager begin with a 3-0 home defeat to Ruthin Town.

The visitors took the lead after 12 minutes when Ryan Jones beat the offside trap before shooting past Wellmen keeper Andy Metcalf.

Ruthin skipper Jones then doubled his tally and the advantage with a near-identical goal after 25 minutes.

An improved second half showing saw Holywell push for a foothold in the contest with Damian Ketley and Lee Davey both going close.

But it was Ruthin's Gwion Owen who had the final say, netting late on to cap a comprehensive win.

Conwy Borough lost 2-1 at home to Guilsfield in their opener, while Llanrhaeadr were surprise 1-0 winners against visiting Rhyl and Porthmadog were 2-0 victors at Penrhyncoch.