THE Blues continued their memorable title-winning campaign last night by adding more silverware to their trophy cabinet.

Chester celebrated a Cheshire FA Senior Cup Final victory against Jim Harvey's Stalybridge at Witton Albion's Wincham Park ground.

It was Chester's first Cheshire Cup win for 81 years and was well deserved in the difficult blustery conditions.

Antoni Sarcevic had converted a 40th minute penalty to earn Chester a 1-0 lead that led to Joel Bembo-Leta being red-carded after he brought down the midfielder.

Chris Hall equalised for Stalybridge in the 59th minute after doing well to fend off a challenge from Lewis Turner before drilling a low shot beyond Martin Fearon.

But Chester immediately replied thanks to a piece of quick-thinking from Tony Gray who blocked an attempted clearance by goalkeeper Alex Cairns before striking an angled shot from the right edge of the area into an empty net.

Chester made three changes to the side that lost 2-1 at Guiseley on Saturday.
Martin Fearon, Ashley Williams and Marc Williams all started in place of John Danby, Nathan Turner, and Nathan Jarman.

The gusty conditions made life difficult during the opening exchanges demonstrated when Antoni Sarcevic tried to find Dominic Collins at the far post but saw his right wing free kick flying well over his target.

Dave Hankin raced clear minutes later but saw his angled shot find the side-netting.
Chester continued to press in the ninth minute when a superbly executed back heeled pass by Tony Gray found Danny Williams whose close range shot was brilliantly saved by Celtic keeper Alex Cairns.

Gray then got a touch to a right wing cross which flew wide of the target as the Blues bossed possession and chances as they dictated the early stages.

Chris Hall punctuated the Chester raids in the 13th minute when he controlled a well measured throughball but steered his low shot from the edge of the area wide of the left post.

Matty McGinn presented a perfect left wing cross for Sarcevic a minute later, but the midfielder's headed attempt flew over the bar.

Stalybridge hit back when Lewis Hatch seized on a poor clearance and forced Fearon into a save which he had to gather at the second attempt.

McGinn decided to test the nerves of Cairns in the 35th minute by hanging a free kick high into the air which the keeper had to gather at the second attempt.  

And Cairns had to pick the ball out of his net in the 40th minute after Sarcevic broke the deadlock with a sidefooted his spotkick in off the base of the left post.

Sarcevic had latched onto a long pass from McGinn and was brought down in the penalty box by Joel Bembo-Leta who was shown the red card by Wirral referee John Dowd.

Former Chester City striker Kristian Platt tried an ambitious long range free kick two minutes later which he drove over the bar.

But Chester responded on the stroke of half time when Marc Williams rifled a goalbound effort from eight yards which Cairns did well to turn round his post.

The Blues carved the first goalscoring chance after the break thanks to a fine right wing cross from Gray that picked out Danny Williams whose shot was blocked and cleared.

And Gray sprinted clear of the Stalybridge rearguard in the 53rd minute but saw his low 20 yard strike parried by Cairns before being cleared.

Midfielder Scott Brown substituted Ashley Williams in the 58th minute as Chester tried to strengthen their attacking options.

But Stalybridge levelled matters in the 59th minute thanks to a neat control and a strong run from Chris Hall who fended off a challenge from Lewis Turner before beating Fearon with a low eight yard shot.

But Chester restored a one-goal lead within seconds of the restart when Gray punished Cairns who had committed himself on the left edge of his box and the former Southport striker skillfully drilled his right wing effort into an empty net.

Nathan Jarman replaced Marc Williams in the 69th minute as Chester continued to press home their advantage.

Jarman was presented with a one on one with Cairns in the 76th minute but miscued his shot and the chance was cleared.

And Stalybridge had an opportunity to level matters in the 77th minute, but Hall's 18 yard shot under pressure from Dominic Collins was well saved by Fearon.

But Chester kept it tight in defence and hung on during the three minutes of stoppage time to celebrate success.

Pick up today's Leader newspaper for more celebration pictures from last night's match.