A man assaulted a bailiff who went to collect items in Wrexham.

Damien Giles Evans, 42, evicted Evan John Williams from a property in Gwenfro, Caia Park, on September 27.

Justin Espie, prosecuting at Wrexham Magistrates Court, said Evans’ partner Gemma Oliver owed nearly £900 in council tax.

Enforcement officers had previously tried to speak to Miss Oliver but were unable to make contact, Mr Espie said.

Mr Williams knocked on the door at about midday. Evans answered and invited in Mr Williams, who made him and Miss Oliver aware of the company he was working for.

Mr Williams, who remained in the hallway while the couple sat on the sofa, said items would have to taken from the home.

Evans would not allow him to do so and told Mr Williams he would remove him from the property.

The enforcement officer told him he would call the police if he did so, but Evans said he did not care.

He grabbed Mr Williams and tried to force him out and the officer's head hit the door frame, causing cuts to his nose and lip.

Evans shouted abuse before pushing Mr Williams out of the front door and threw his work bag out, magistrates heard.

The officer locked himself in his van and called the police.

Evans, now of Oakfield Avenue in Droylsden, Manchester, pleaded guilty to assault by beating.

Mr Espie said Evans had previously said Mr Williams had pushed himself in and had not identified himself.

Alun Williams, defending, said the case had been adjourned three times before the defence received body camera footage of the incident.

The bailiff had asked if Miss Oliver was there and Evans let him in, thinking he must be a friend.

He then said he was from Rossendales, but Evans had no clue about the company, Mr Williams said.

Mr Evans did not say he was acting on behalf of Wrexham Council, Mr Williams said.

There was no evidence of an enforcement notice being sent, nor a initial visit where items could be looked at before the visit to pick them up.

Mr Williams said his client was "slightly taken aback" and thought the bailiff had entered under false pretences.

Evans twice asked him to leave, but he refused and was eventually thrown out and clipped his head on the way.

He had not struck or kicked the enforcement officer, but he had put his hands on him and marched him to the door.

Jones had acted foolishly and it was perhaps understandable, but not certainly not excusable, Mr Williams added.

Magistrates gave Evans a conditional discharge for two years and ordered him to pay£100 in compensation to Mr Williams, £115 in costs and a £20 surcharge.