A MAN who threatened to kill a bakery worker after he was asked to pay for his food has been jailed.

Paul Andrew Evans, of Primrose Way in Wrexham, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Wednesday for sentence.

The 53-year-old had been found guilty after trial of possessing an offensive weapon in a public place, as well as having admitted a series of other offences including possession of drugs, assault, criminal damage, using threatening or abusive words or behaviour and breaching a criminal behaviour order.

Kevin Challinor, prosecuting, told the court that on the morning of June 10 this year, Evans went to Ragazzi Clothing in Yorke Street.

Staff at that store became concerned about him and called the police.

Armed officers found him sitting on a bench near Tesco in Crescent Road, and spotted the handle of a hammer sticking out of his pocket.

He was detained and the hammer was taken - with a small amount of amphetamine being found in his possession as well.

READ MORE: Chatwins bakery closes after incident of violence in the shop

When he was questioned about the hammer, his story had "inconsistencies" and failed to convince the police - or the magistrates, at his trial over the matter on Tuesday this week.

Mr Challinor said on June 17, at around 2.30pm, the defendant went to Chatwins Bakery in High Street, Wrexham.

Staff were preparing his food and asked him for payment - at which point he became verbally aggressive.

"Give me the f****** bap," he told them - "Do you want me to smash your face in? Give me the f****** food.

"I'll f****** kill you both - do you want me to shoot you?"

The Leader: Andrew Evans. Image: North Wales PoliceAndrew Evans. Image: North Wales Police

The defendant then imitated shooting the staff members, banging on the glass counter.

He then took hold of a glass display, damaging it and leaving broken glass on the floor.

When he left the bakery, the staff and customers were "in a distressed state" and upset.

Chatwins staff member Jane Turnbull said, in a victim impact statement read to the court, that Evans' behaviour had left her feeling sick to her stomach.

"I don't think I've ever felt so scared in my life," she said.

"I do not come to work to be threatened or abused."

From Chatwins, Evans proceeded to Lloyds Bar in High Street, where he was already banned and was refused entry.

He sat outside the location and started consuming a drink left behind by another customer.

READ MORE: Wrexham man accused of terrifying lone woman jailed on his birthday

But when he was asked to leave by staff member Tim Hosken, he threw the drink over him, gesturing as if he had a gun again.

Euros Jones, defending, told the court: "It is difficult sentencing someone with mental health difficulties - Mr Evans is diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and is the classic example of someone working with mental health services who gets caught in the criminal system.

"He's been to custody five times in the last two years and has been sectioned two times in the last year.

"Unfortunately the probation service are unable to work with him - they don't believe he is manageable in the community."

Mr Jones invited the court to consider imposing a custodial sentence, but suspending it - explaining the defendant would just find himself back at "square one" if he went into custody again.

Andrew Stubbs, chair of the magistrates, described the incident at Chatwins as "nasty," handing down a total sentence across all of the offences of 44 weeks immediate custody.

A spokesman said: "Following a recent incident in the shop where an individual threatening violence caused significant property damage, jeopardising the safety of staff and customers, we felt our presence in the city centre was no longer tenable."

Make sure you don't miss the top court stories of the week by signing up to our free court newsletter

The Leader: