A MAN who attacked another with a knife over a row about an oven at a multiple occupation house in Flintshire has avoided a jail sentence.

Daniel Deacon, 44, of Church Yard, Tring, Hertfordshire, appeared before Mold Crown Court for sentencing on Thursday, July 28.

He had previously been convicted of Actual Bodily Harm (ABH) at Mold Magistrates on June 30.

Karl Schulz, prosecuting, told the court how the incident occurred at a multiple occupation house in Oakenholt on March 17 of this year.

Read more: First televised court sentencing to be shown TODAY - how to watch

At 11.15pm the victim, Mark Gerrard, had just finished a shift at work and had gone out shopping with his partner.

When he returned to the communal kitchen area of the house, he turned the oven on. Upon doing so, he heard Deacon - whose room was on the other side of the wall to the oven - knocking on the wall.

And when Mr Gerrard shouted 'shut up' to the defendant to try to get the banging to stop, the latter marched from his room and into the kitchen towards Mr Gerrard with a 'knife in each arm'.

As the victim put his arms up to try to protect his face, he suffered a cut from one of the blades to his left arm. 

Deacon - who has previous convictions for ABH and possession of a bladed article - then turned away and walked out of the kitchen.

Mr Schulz told the court that, when officers arrived at the scene at around 12.20pm, they discovered the two large kitchen knives in Deacon's room. He kept them there as he needed them to cook with in his room, the court was also told.

He told officers that he heard the oven go on and banged on the wall twice. He later admitted to having 'just lost it' and that he 'raised the knives' in an attempt to 'scare' Mr Gerrard.

Read more: Flintshire police searching for missing 12-year-old girl

He added that he did not mean to cut him during the incident.

Defending Deacon, Gary Harvey said the defendant 'recognises that his behaviour was unacceptable' and described him as a 'very contrite gentleman'.

Mr Harvey added that Deacon has autism and behavioural difficulties but that these 'do not excuse' his behaviour.

Sentencing Deacon, Judge Niclas Parry said: "You could have caused far more injury. You left him bleeding, not a care about him."

Judge Parry handed Deacon a 12 months prison sentence, suspended for two years. He was also ordered to carry out a rehabilitation period of 20 days.

He added: "People are prepared to help you, it is important that you help them do that."