A DAD has been spared jail after stabbing a man in the chest with an eight inch knife.

Andrew Gaunt, of Chester Road, appeared at Mold Crown Court for sentence on Thursday.

The 33-year-old had been convicted on a previous date for wounding, possession of a bladed article and a public order offence.

Siôn ap Mihangel, prosecuting, told the court how an incident in Penybryn in November of 2020 saw Gaunt stab victim Jordan Evans in the chest with an eight inch serrated knife, causing a small but deep puncture wound.

When police arrived at the scene, Gaunt was drowsy - claiming he'd taken drugs the night before and medication on the day.

The knife was recovered not far away.

The Leader: Prince Charles Road. Image: GooglePrince Charles Road. Image: Google

READ MORE: Wrexham man sentenced after dog attack in street

In a victim impact statement, Mr Evans said he was in shock and pain when he was stabbed, with the injury going on to have an impact on his mental health and confidence in being outdoors.

The public order offence related to an incident in April of 2021 during which Gaunt got involved in a fight with another man on Prince Charles Road.

Mr ap Mihangel said the other man in this incident had struck a female companion of Gaunt's and then attacked him.

After that the defendant retaliated, the court heard, but despite the other man being the initial aggressor, Gaunt went "too far."

Simon Rogers, defending, said his client has a young son and had made "real changes" in his life since the incidents, including tackling his addiction to heroin and crack cocaine.

He said: "He has gone on a methadone prescription which he says has enabled him to achieve stability, drug free, for the first time in a long time.

"He's never been doing so well."

The Leader: Penybryn (Image: Google)Penybryn (Image: Google)

READ MORE: Fine for Wrexham woman who sent threatening messages to ex

Regarding the fight in Prince Charles Road, Judge Nicola Saffman told the defendant: "You fought back and got the better of him - then you went too far. That's the reality."

The Judge said while the injury caused in the stabbing incident had healed "quickly," the offence had impacted psychologically on the victim.

For wounding, Gaunt was jailed for 24 months - but the term was suspended for 24 months.

Concurrent sentences of 21 months for the possession of the blade and two months for the public order incident were handed down.

The defendant was ordered to carry out 20 rehabilitation activity days, 35 sessions on a thinking skills programme and must observe a six months curfew, as well as paying a £156 victim surcharge.

Make sure you don't miss the top court stories of the week by signing up to our free court newsletter