A man who had been out to a birthday celebration ended his night hurling drunken abuse at hospital staff after getting "wrecked out of his mind."

Edwin Roberts, of Victoria Avenue in Johnstown, appeared at Wrexham Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

The 73-year-old had previously been convicted of assault and using threatening or abusive words or behaviour - both offences taking place at Wrexham Maelor Hospital in February.

Rhian Jackson, prosecuting, told the court complainant Hayley Jones works as a Sister in A&E at the hospital.

READ MORE: Mostyn drug-driver fined and banned following collision

On the evening of February 2 she was in the department when Roberts was dropped off, appearing intoxicated.

He was put into the waiting room and started singing.

Roberts had a cut to his nose, but appeared in a good mood.

After being triaged he was sat in a corridor near a children's ward.

A short time later, he became abusive, shouting and swearing.

The double doors to the children's ward had to be closed while security came to deal with him in case one of the young patients heard the commotion.

The Leader: Wrexham Maelor HospitalWrexham Maelor Hospital

Roberts lashed out towards Hayley Jones and while he didn't make contact, the court heard he would have if she had not moved.

Police were called and when he was later interviewed, he told police he had been drinking in Mold with his family and he wasn't sure why he'd ended up at the hospital.

He said he was "wrecked out of his mind," Ms Jackson said, and had consumed "at least three bottles of wine".

When shown body worn footage of his behaviour, he apologised.

Catherine Jagger, defending, said her client had been "upset and distressed" when he saw the footage.

READ MORE: Fine for Greenfield man who admitted being drunk in street

She added: "The impact of seeing himself intoxicated has been quite something.

"It was a birthday celebration. He's quite ashamed."

She added Roberts' drinking had been "curtailed" considerably since the incident.

District Judge Gwyn Jones told the defendant: "You were there to be treated because of a cut, and because of the level of inebriation.

"Initially you were in reasonably good spirits, but you became offensive.

"It is such a sad reflection on our society that even now there has to be security staff in hospitals to protect those who are helping those, and those who are unwell."

For the assault against Nurse Jones, Roberts was handed a 14 week prison term, suspended for a year.

He was also ordered to pay the complainant £300 in compensation.

No further penalty was imposed in respect of the threatening behaviour.

Roberts was also ordered to pay £85 costs.

Make sure you don't miss the top court stories of the week by signing up to our free court newsletter