A COMMUNITY has rallied to support three elderly members of a family after their home and all their belongings were destroyed in a blaze.

The three residents, known locally as the Beal family, had a "miracle" escape after flames engulfed their home in Pandy, near Llangollen, on Sunday, November 14.

Councillor for the Ceiriog Valley, Trevor Bates said the occupants had lived in the house all their lives and it was a miracle they got out.

He has launched a fundraising page that, thanks to support from the community, has raised more than £2,600.

You can visit the page at https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/trevor-bates

The aftermath of fire at the property in the Ceiriog Valley. (Image courtesy of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service)

The aftermath of fire at the property in the Ceiriog Valley. (Image courtesy of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service)

On the page, Cllr Bates said: "The three elderly residents were brought out with seconds to spare.

"Everything in the house was lost to the fire. two of the three were born in the house over 90 years ago and have never lived any where else."

At the height of the incident, more than 20 firefighters from Llangollen, Johnstown, Wrexham, Cerrigydrudion and Bala tackled the fire. Crews from Chirk, Wrexham, Buckley and Mold also attended into the evening and overnight.

It is believed the cause was a cooking appliance.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service thanked the community for their help on the night and stressed the importance of cooking safety.

Firefighter Steve Houghton, who attended the incident, said: “Firstly, I’d like to thank the local community for supporting the great work of our crews in tackling this fire – as part of the firefighting operations, due to the location of the fire we used the portable pumping unit to access water from the river Ceiriog. Local residents assisted us with this set up, which allowed firefighters access to water to tackle the fire.

“This was a serious fire in a large building, and our firefighters worked well in difficult conditions.

“The residents were out of the house on our arrival, and my thoughts are with them and their family during this stressful time – we all hope they make a full recovery."

He added: “The devastating damage shows just how destructive fire can be - and time and time again we attend house fires which have started in the kitchen - it's so easy to forget your cooking, especially if you are tired, distracted or have been drinking.

"Our message is clear - never turn your back on your cooking, even for a minute. Leaving any cooking unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results.

"Smoke alarms save lives - the early warning provided by a smoke alarm can provide vital minutes to help you escape unharmed.

“I’d ask everyone to consider elderly or vulnerable family or neighbours, and ensure they are safe too."

For a free safe and well check call freephone 0800 169 1234, email cfs@nwales-fireservice.org.uk or visit www.northwalesfire.gov.wales