RESIDENTS are being urged to report their concern immediately if they believe they have been targeted by rogue traders.

Wrexham Rural Inspector Gavin Gilmore said his team recently carried out an operation to identify potential incidents of rogue trading.

He said in one day across his area, officers found three homes where poor quality work had been carried out and residents were either in dispute with the company responsible or were not able to contact them.

Insp Gilmore said: "We have found that some of these residents, when trying to get hold of the people who did the work, were almost being stonewalled. "I would encourage people to report their concerns straight away.

"In one day alone, we did three referrals to Trading Standards."

Roger Mapleson, Trading Standards and Licensing Lead, with Wrexham Council said: “Rogue traders targeting people in their own home is a crime.

"Typically this will involve a cold call at the door offering to do work on the property such as driveways, roof work, garden work or replacement of fascias and soffits.

"Callers sometimes highlight a problem they have identified to pressure householders into agreeing work there and then.

"It is usual for the work done to turn out to be unnecessary, overpriced and ineffective. "In the worst cases the impact on victims can be devastating, not just financially but also leading to loss of confidence, self-esteem and independence.

"Police and Trading Standards work closely to investigate incidents and bring perpetrators to justice, but it is much better to avoid becoming a victim in the first place. "Reputable traders rarely need to seek business by cold calling so always say 'No' to cold callers, ask them to leave and close the door.

"You can get advice and report incidents from the Citizens Advice Consumer Services helpline on 0808 223 1133 English or 0808 223 1144 Welsh."

Anyone who witnesses suspicious behaviour or believes rogue traders are operating in their community can contact North Wales Police on 101 or via the live web chat;

Mr Mapleson added: "If you feel that you are at immediate risk of danger or harm or that your property is being damaged dial 999 and ask for the Police."