In our weekly legal column, the Leader, with the expert advice of the team at GHP Legal, sets out to answer some of your problems. Today's question is answered by partner Nathan Wright...

How do I put my girlfriend's name on my house deeds?

Q: My girlfriend moved in with me just before the first Covid lockdown. We have since decided to continue living together and sell her house. We don't want to get married but we both think she should have her name on the deeds of my house if she is going to contribute to the mortgage and bills. What do we need to do?

A: Transferring your property into joint names will require you to transfer the legal title of the property from your single name to your joint names. This is known as a Transfer of Equity. In England and Wales there are two ways in which a property can be jointly owned - either as joint tenants or as tenants in common.

As joint tenants you both hold an equal share in the property. If one of you dies your share automatically passes to other under something known as Right of Survivorship. If you own the property as tenants in common, then you each own a specified share. This could be 50% each or it could be different shares depending on what you choose. The shares may for example reflect different contributions to the purchase or upkeep of the property. If one of you dies in this instance, your share would pass on either in line with the wishes laid out in your Will, or in line with inheritance laws if you have not made a Will (but it would be unwise to own property and not make a Will!).

To make the changes your solicitor will need to obtain a copy of the property title and prepare a Transfer Deed for you both to sign. The type of ownership that you choose - either joint tenants or tenants in common - will be recorded in the Transfer Deed. You may also wish to create a Declaration of Trust, in which you can record any specific intentions.

• This question has been answered by Nathan Wright, a Partner with GHP Legal. If you would like to speak to someone about this or any other legal matter it is still possible, and we are doing everything we can to ensure that we continue to offer our high levels of service to our clients. In accordance with government guidelines, some of our lawyers are currently working remotely which means you may not now receive a response as promptly as you may expect. Please kindly bear with us and we will respond as soon as we are able.

Where possible, we ask that you communicate with us by phone or email. If you have a new enquiry, please use the 'Contact us' form on the website or call 01978 291456. As a firm, you will appreciate that we are still extremely busy, and due to current circumstances work may be interrupted – however cases are still ongoing and will be prioritised by urgency and need. Stay safe and thank you for your support.