A hotel owner has hit back at Flintshire Council after being issued with a Covid-19 closure order.

Flint Mountain Park Hotel was issued with the notice following a "large gathering" on the grounds and in a marquee on Wednesday and a failure by the hotel to "take reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus".

The council claims an inspection from its officers, alerted to the event by North Wales Police, found that "no social distancing measures" had been put in place, and that "many people from many different households" were mixing without face-coverings.

The hotel has subsequently been ordered to close its bar, restaurant, marquee, function room and beer gardens for a period of two weeks starting from yesterday (Thursday).

However, the hotel's owner, Yan Chan, claims he has been treated unfairly, and could appeal the decision.

He told the Leader: "The large gathering was a funeral, which included 36 people. But about 100 had initially turned up for the event and we obviously had to turn 60 or so away to be compliant with the regulations.

"We even employed a doorman to make sure no more people attended the event."

Mr Chan says everyone not wearing face-masks was sat at tables, and that only once did he have to tell a group who were "standing around a table" to put face-coverings on.

Mr Chan says his and other hospitality businesses have worked hard to ensure they comply with the rules, despite his businesses "dying" as a result of the impact of coronavirus.

He said: "Our revenue is down 89 per cent on this time last year - and we just want an appreciation from the council that we're doing all we can to keep to the regulations while trying to stay alive."

Andrew Farrow, Flintshire Council's chief officer planning, environment and economic development, said: “North Wales Police alerted our Community and Business Protection Team to a large gathering of over 30 people in the grounds and marquee at the premises yesterday.

"Whilst the size of the gathering is a matter for North Wales Police we were concerned as to whether appropriate social distancing measures were in place to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus.

"Following an inspection of the premises our officers found that no social distancing measures had been put in place and many people from many different households were mixing in the beer garden and inside the marquee without face-coverings.

"Given the circumstances, our officers were left with no alternative but to issue a Temporary Closure Notice. This action was not taken lightly, but this incident was a significant breach of the current regulations that warranted immediate action."

Mr Farrow says that the proprietor had been contacted on "numerous occasions" by the council in recent weeks and has been provided with clear guidance and advice about compliance with the regulations - something Mr Chan refutes.

Mr Farrow added: "We also understand that North Wales Police had provided the proprietor with appropriate advice earlier in the day which he did not heed. We have already discussed with the proprietor how he may safely re-open the premises and we will continue to offer our support.

“It is important that premises follow guidelines and regulations to keep staff and customers safe to minimise the potential coronavirus. Our officers will continue to work alongside North Wales Police and other partners to intervene where it is felt that measures are not being taken seriously or ignored.”