A MIXTURE of intoxication and confusion led to a man being in the middle of a dual carriageway on the outskirts of Wrexham in the middle of the night where he was fatally struck by a car.

Sion Leslie Gears had been dropped off at the wrong address by a taxi after an evening spent at several pubs in Wrexham with friends, an inquest at County Hall in Ruthin heard on Wednesday.

It is thought the 48-year-old concrete floor layer was walking to climb over a fence on the Llan-y-Pwll link road to make his way home to Bader Court, Goulbourne, when a white Suzuki Swift collided with him just before 12.45am on January 12 this year.

Several drivers called the police on the night after seeing Mr Gears walking in the centre of the A5156 dual carriageway. including Sally Roberts-Dennis who said she had to take "evasive action" to avoid hitting him near the Wrexham Golf Club roundabout.

The witnesses described Mr Gears as not appearing drunk or unstable and that he appeared to be walking with purpose in a straight line.

"He was casually striding, he didn't appear alarmed or panicked or seem to be drunk," the inquest heard.

Driver of the Suzuki Swift, James Spencer, said he saw Mr Gears appear in the road in front of him. He was wearing dark clothes, the road was unlit, and Mr Spencer was unable to avoid the collision despite braking and attempting to change lanes.

Mr Spencer told police: "It happened so suddenly. I just couldn't avoid him."

He stopped his car, called 999, and attempted CPR on Mr Gears until the police and other emergency services arrived at the scene.

Paramedics pronounced Mr Gears dead at 1.17am.

Mr Gears suffered serious multiple injuries, including damage to his chest that was not survivable.

A report from the Roads Policing Unit said no faults were found with the vehicle, the driver tested negative for alcohol and drugs, and the condition of the road was good.

It added that Mr Gears being dressed in dark clothing and the road being unlit would have meant he would have been difficult to see, in addition to motorists not expecting to see a pedestrian on that part of the dual carriageway.

Investigator Gordon Seynor said: "It is unclear why he was walking along the carriageway in an intoxicated condition but he placed himself into a position of danger."

Sion's mother, Sandra Gears, said that she appreciated the driver wouldn't have expected someone to be in the road nor have been able to avoid the collision.

The inquest heard from two of Mr Gears friends that he had been drinking at the Welch Fusilier and other pubs in Wrexham.

He ended up in a taxi on his own and one of his friends relayed an address to the driver.

It turned out to be the wrong address leaving Mr Gears to start to walk home.

Although his friends described him as "merry" but "not too drunk" and witnesses said he did not seem unsteady while he was walking in the road, a postmortem examination found Mr Gears has a blood alcohol level of 375mg and a reading of 434mg in his urine. The legal drink drive limit is 80mg and levels over 300 can result in incoordination or even death.

Mrs Gears paid tribute to Sion, saying: "He was just a loving son."

Sion had a twin brother Russell and leaves a 24-year-old son Ryan.

Coroner for North Wales East and Central John Gittins recorded a conclusion of death by road traffic collision.

Previously, Mr Gears family has issued a tribute through North Wales Police.

“A loving father to Ryan, and beloved son to Sandra and Denzil Gears. He was adored by brothers - his twin, Russell and younger brother, Darren. Sion will be missed by all that met him.

“Think of a happy memory and smile when you think of him. They broke the mould when Sion was born. Rest in peace.”