NORTH Wales firefighters are urging people not to burn household and garden waste.

As well as causing problems for people with respiratory conditions from the smoke, fires can get out of control at a time when people are being urged to help reduce demand on the NHS.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service tweeted: "We're urging you to think before burning garden or household waste. Smoke can cause people with respiratory conditions to become unwell, on top of the risk from #Coronavirus.

"Take responsibility for your waste. You might have to hold on to your waste for now. #DontFuelTheFire."

Wrexham's household recycling centres are now open again: the centres at Plas Madoc and Wrexham Industrial Estate are open daily while the centre at Brymbo is by appointment only.

Centres in Flintshire are due to open from Tuesday, May 26.