A COMMUNITY councillor has spoken out about the use of nitrous oxide in Wrexham.

Cllr Susan Hallard of Rhos Community Council, took to social media earlier this month (May 10), to inform the public of the hidden dangers behind the growing issue after her husband, John, found a large unity of used nitrous oxide canisters, otherwise known as 'laughing gas' in the area.

She posted: "Do you know where your child was last evening?

"This is what it looks like on the footpath at the back of Bryn y Brain this morning.

"Take a look at the photos then read what this stuff does to you.

"It is very dangerous to inhale nitrous oxide directly from the canister, and doing it in an enclosed space is also very dangerous.

"If you take too much nitrous oxide you risk falling unconscious and/or suffocating from the lack of oxygen.

"People have died this way.

"Other risks include dizziness, which might make you act carelessly or dangerously, heavy regular use of nitrous oxide can lead to a deficiency of vitamin B12 and to a form of anaemia, severe B12 deficiency can lead to serious nerve damage, causing tingling and numbness in the fingers and toes.

"This can be very painful and make walking difficult.

"Regular use can stop you forming white blood cells properly.

"It can be hard to judge the amount to use safely.

"If you have too much you can end up fainting, having an accident or worse."

However, despite reporting the incident to Wrexham Council, cllr Hallard was shocked to discover that two days later, the canisters had still not been collected.

She said: "My husband walks our dog every morning and he took the photographs to show me.

"I'm very concerned about the individuals who have been using these canisters, as they can be extremely dangerous.

"I also reported this incident to the police but when my husband went for a walk on May 13, the were still there.

"Imagine if we weren't in lockdown and children saw it?

"It's not a nice thing for them to witness and due to the volume of canisters that were there, surely there must be a gang from different households meeting up, which is breaking the current gathering restrictions in place."

Since the social media post on May 10, cllr Hallard states that she has received messages from other residents around Wrexham, who have witnessed similar incidents in their areas, which she claims highlights this as 'a growing trend."

Darren Williams, chief officer for environment and technical at Wrexham Council, said: "We received a report about this incident on May 10 and it was removed on May 11.

"A check by our area supervisor on (13.05.20) confirmed the area remained clear.

"Any further incidents in this area with litter or nitrous oxide canisters, or in any other area in the county borough should be reported online at https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/env_services/service_requests/litter_bins.htm or via email at contact-us@wrexham.gov.uk giving a clear location and contact details and the matter will be dealt with."