A WREXHAM village continues to be devastated by flood water.

Storm Dennis has continued to wreak havoc across Bangor-on-Dee, resulting in flooding across roads and fields.

This comes after Storm Ciara the previous weekend.

A spokesman for the Royal Oak said they were particularly affected over the weekend due to being so close to the riverbank.

They told the Leader: “The weather did affect our business over the weekend because the roads were flooded, and no-one could get here.

“We are right against the river and the water was virtually to the walls.

“There is a fear if the weather continues like this, I’m worried about the bank holding up and there is a fear of not having a business as there is no access into the village.

“We have had no traffic through since last Saturday, we can only hope it improves sooner rather than later.”

Storm Dennis battered the region on Saturday and a weather warning for wind and rain was in place until Sunday.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that on Sunday alone, they were called out three times to reports of people needing assistance as motorists were stuck in flood water.

Firefighters have since been tackling further flooding issues in Bangor-on-Dee.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service received a call just after 2.20pm on Monday reporting a flooding incident outside a home in Overton Road.

One crew from Wrexham attended the scene and used a portable pumping unit to lower water levels.

The fire service stated the incident had involved flood water around the exterior of the property.

A spokesman for St Dunawd's Church also told the Leader that the area had been ‘marooned’ and people were having to get to Wrexham through Holt and having to go through Overton and Ruabon due to main roads being blocked.

They added: “We have had surface water on the roads because of blocked drains but that has been cleared now and the main road is impossible to get down.

“It’s just an inconvenience but there are people who have had it a lot worse.

“I have been here for six years and this week, for the first time I packed an overnight bag just in case and whether more rain was coming.

“Locals here though don’t seem too concerned and they will tell us when to worry.”

Cllr Jackie Grice, senior flood warden, told the Leader: "We have been downgraded from a flood warning to a flood alert - the levels have dropped quite significantly since yesterday (Monday).

"We know there's further rain and bad weather to come over the next few days.

"We do have the support of Natural Resources Wales, with their flood operatives coming to the village to check the banks and that the defences are working.

"The biggest impact we have had so far has been the roads being closed and people having to find a longer route to their destination.

"There has not been a lot of impact [on houses and buildings]. Most of the water tends to be on the fields, which are part of the flood plain and the defence."

Asked what advice she would offer residents for the days to come, Cllr Grice added: "Monitor the situation and contact your flood warden if you're worried.

"It is sensible to think about whether your property has any weaknesses and if so, what you can do to protect yourself.

"I put out a letter just before summer with a lost of all of the local flood wardens, but if anyone is concerned they can call me on 07749 494180.

"If there's anything for people to worry about the wardens will be out, knocking on doors."

The Leader previously reported that North Wales Police warned motorists not to ignore road closure signs as they were there for a reason and ‘the waves generated are causing additional flooding and further issues’.

Similarly, the rain had caused issues at the Bangor-on-Dee Racecourse as they had taken a decision to cancel the race on February 18 due to a flooded track.

But Jeannie Chantler, general manager, said: "Our next race meeting is scheduled for March 21 so plenty of time to get everything tidied up."