A CHILD sex offender who moved to North Wales to make a fresh start has been jailed for ten years after a court heard how he abused a little girl while baby sitting.

Jason Michael Peck, 26, was branded a danger to children by Judge Niclas Parry, sitting at Mold Crown Court after he had admitted two charges of sexual touching and one charge of sexual penetration on a girl under the age of 13, in the Flintshire area between December 2016 and August 2017.

Peck of Great Union Street in Kingston upon Hull, was ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for life. A life-time sexual harm prevention order was made under which he is not to have any unsupervised contact with, or approach, girls under 16.

He was sentenced as an "offender of particular concern" which means that he will not be automatically released at the half way stage.

Judge Niclas Parry told him he would only be released when The Parole Board considered it was safe and that he could serve the whole ten years.

The judge told him he was "a high risk of harm to children in my view." His behaviour had a great impact on the child whose character had changed. Judge Parry went on to say how it was "desperately sad" that she had tried to self harm.

Peck had lied about his previous offending, was allowed to baby sit for a family, but he had isolated the victim, took her upstairs, told her to undress and abused her.

Judge Parry said that there had been a significant degree of planning and grooming behaviour. He had also bribed her with toys and money, not to tell what was going on.

The judge said it was of significant concern that he had continued to offend despite the in depth intervention which occurred following the previous offence.

Prosecutor Ffion Tomos told how the girl became upset and told her mother a little of what had happened when it was suggested he would baby sit again. Later the girl disclosed in school what had happened.

Ms Tomos said that in 2012 he was convicted of sexual assault on a child in The North East. He received a community order and moved to North Wales.

In 2016 he started baby sitting and ended up abusing the victim numerous times. After he was arrested, he said he had been "in a dark place" and apologised for what he had done.

The abuse had affected the girl emotionally and she suffered panic attacks. She later told police how she had tried to kill herself once and showed where she tried to cut herself with a knife.

The mother told how the damage he had caused could not be put into words and it had been so painful for her daughter and the family.

A safeguarding officer told how the girl was awaiting counselling and had shown extreme anxiety and sadness. The impact upon her could be there for life, she said.

Defending barrister Oliver King said that his client appreciated that he faced a very long sentence. He had made immediate admissions to indecent assault, admitted the assault by penetration before the victim had to give evidence, and he appeared to recognise that his sexualised thoughts towards children were wrong.

The defendant felt guilt and shame for his actions and his thoughts and would accept help in custody.