A FLINT man died after choking on a piece of meat months after his brother lost his life the same way.

Selwyn Francis died at the Countess of Chester hospital after choking when out for a family meal at the Red Lion in Northop.

An inquest was resumed into the death of the 63-year-old by Joanne Lees, assistant coroner for North Wales (east and central) at Ruthin on Friday.

The hearing heard how the bachelor suffered two stroked in 2018 and spent several months in hospital and as a result struggled to swallow.

He had previously lived with his brother Gwyn in Ffordd Llewelyn in Flint however after his brother died from a hypoxic brain injury due to cardiac arrest after choking on a piece of meat earlier this year, Mr Francis moved to a nursing home in Chorley.

On July 2, Mr Francis attended a family meal at the Red Lion pub and had sausage and mash, which was cut up into small pieces. However, he appeared to be choking and an ambulance was called.

CPR was attempted and an air ambulance arrived where it was discovered a small piece of sausage was lodged on his vocal cords.

The hearing heard how Mr Francis was ‘happy go lucky’ and ‘always had time for you’.

On July 2, a day before his brother’s inquest, he was taken to hospital where a scan showed a ‘severe brain injury’ due to being starved of oxygen.

Ms Lees recorded the death as a ‘tragic accident’ caused by the choking which led to a cardiac arrest and brain injury.