AN Acrefair man died nearly four years after a fall at home which left him severely disabled, an inquest heard.

Nigel Philip Williams was left paralysed from the neck down after slipping on a staircase and hitting his head in November 2015.

Mr Williams, who lived at Alwen, Plas Madoc was hospitalised after he developed a chest infection and passed away five days later, aged 58.

His wife, Trudi Williams, said in a statement read out to the Wrexham hearing that her husband broke two discs and severed his spinal chord in the accident.

After she became his carer, she said that he underwent a lot of treatments and therapy and there was hope he would get “more movement back”.

But Mrs Williams said: “He didn’t get the full physio and he was told he would get use of the hydrotherapy pool in Gobowen (orthopaedic centre), but he never did.”

Mr Williams spent six months in hospital after his fall in 2015, three at the Royal Stoke Hospital and three at Gobowen.

The hearing was told that because of his immobility Mr Williams was prone to chest complaints.

After his family spotted a tinge of blueness in his lips he was admitted to Wrexham Maelor Hospital and put on an antibiotic drip. But his carbon dioxide levels rose and he passed away on May 21 this year.

The cause off death was given as pneumonia linked to immobility, quadriplegia and diabetes as as contributory factor.

North Wales East and Central Coroner John Gittins ruled the death as an accident and said: “The impact was catastrophic for him and it was the degree of paralysis that led him to succumb to his passing.”