A KEY development blueprint for Wrexham is strong enough to pass scrutiny, it’s been claimed despite concerns over an apparent lack of evidence regarding the selection of housing sites.

Two planning inspectors appointed by the Welsh Government are currently running the rule over Wrexham Council’s Local Development Plan, which sets out land where about 8,000 new homes could be built in the county.

It was during a public hearing held last week that lead inspector Siân Worden voiced frustration about the absence of supporting information to justify rejecting alternative locations suggested by housing companies.

In relation to an excluded site near Brymbo Steelworks, which builders said could accommodate 350 properties, she said she “couldn’t understand” the way it was assessed due to there being no sign of an evaluation.

Ms Worden added she had reservations there might be other plots which hadn’t been properly examined.

However, the local authority’s chief executive has now spoken out in support of the document after being questioned on its validity.

Speaking at a media briefing held on Tuesday, October 1, Ian Bancroft said: “We wouldn’t have submitted a plan that we didn’t think was robust.

“There are always going to be issues in public hearings and inspectors’ hearings where you’re going to get cases for and against and people are going to provide evidence.

“We also recognise there are lots of local sensitivities in the plan, so you’re balancing what’s right objectively with some of the local needs.

“I’m absolutely happy that we’ve submitted a robust plan and the two planning inspectors will determine now whether they think in their eyes that it meets the requirements that they’ve got.”

The council has been without an LDP since 2011, when its initial proposal was withdrawn because of concerns from inspectors about of a lack of housing provision.

The issues raised by Ms Worden were echoed by developers, who said they felt other sites suggested for the latest plan were not properly considered.

Meanwhile, residents living near a country park in Llay have also questioned why part of it was earmarked as a potential Gypsy and Traveller camp.

It comes despite the land at Alyn Waters Country Park originally been left out of the plan because of a number of constraints, including it forming part of the green barrier and the existence of a restrictive covenant.

The inspectors’ hearings will continue until mid-October with any suggested changes expected to come forward later this year.