FLINTSHIRE County Council has been successful, after working closely with local businesses and Holywell Town Council, in obtaining funding for the de-pedestrianisation of the High Street in Holywell.

Successful bids to the Local Transport Fund and the Town Regeneration Fund has resulted in 70 per cent of the £800,000 being made available from Welsh Government. The remaining 30 per cent has been met by Flintshire County Council and Holywell Town Council.

With the full amount of funding identified and given the deterioration of the road surface since the temporary changes were introduced, the Council was keen to progress the scheme immediately.

Work started on 27 August and is due to be completed by 30 November. This will ensure that the current traffic arrangement remains in place, although there will be a requirement for some temporary full road closures during the period of the construction. A set of plans can be viewed at Holywell Connects Centre.

Councillor Carolyn Thomas, council deputy leader and cabinet member for Streetscene and countryside said: "I am pleased that the full scheme is now able to go ahead and hope this will provide what both local businesses and residents in the town have been seeking. Walking round the town yesterday and talking to local businesses and Councillors, I could sense the positivity and the potential as many are working hard to make the town flourish with new, exciting business and community developments.

“The trial opening of the road added to the vibrancy and it is great we can now make this a permanent feature with design enhancements thanks to receiving the full Welsh Government grant funding that we applied for.”