A CONVICTED football hooligan has been in trouble again after an incident in Wrexham town centre.

Appearing at North East Wales Magistrates' Court, Shaun Gary Jones, 27, admitted charges of possessing cocaine and criminal damage after he spat inside a police vehicle following his arrest.

Helen Tench, prosecuting, said Jones was arrested on July 26 on a non-related matter which he was not charged for, but once he was put inside the police van he began to bang his head against its perspex wall and spit.

After he was transported to the police station at Llay, Jones was searched and a small bag of cocaine was found on him which he told officers he bought earlier in the evening for £40.

Ms Tench added that Jones was in breach of a 12 month conditional discharge imposed on June 24 after he admitted charges of being drunk and disorderly and possession of a Class B drug.

Melissa Griffiths, defending, said Jones was a father of one who had been working at Airbus, but had lost his job after he was involved in trouble between rival supporters outside Chesterfield FC’s Proact Stadium in October last year for which he had received a football banning order for three years.

His grandfather had also died recently, leading to increased use of cannabis and alcohol with Ms Griffiths saying Jones had told her he had never been arrested sober.

She said he had been in Wrexham town centre and had been "drinking far too much" before becoming involved in an incident in a pub and getting arrested although no further action had been taken relating to that incident.

Ms Griffiths added that her client "very much apologises" for his actions and now understood that he had a problem with alcohol which he was getting help with.

Chair of the bench, Carol Lloyd told Jones she was revoking and resentencing him for the offences in June and fined him £80 for being drunk and disorderly and £80 for possession of cannabis.

He was also fined £120 for possession of cocaine and will pay £120 compensation to North Wales Police for the damage to the vehicle with a further 12 month conditional discharge imposed.

Jones will also pay court costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £32.