A MAN from Flintshire died after choking on a piece of meat at a pub where his brother had had a similar experience 18 months previously.

Kenneth Francis, 62, told an inquest he and brothers Gwyn and Selwyn all tended to eat quickly without chewing their food properly.

And when Selwyn had a choking episode at The Mill Tavern a customer performed the Heimlich manoeuvre on him to dislodge the piece of meat.

"I said it should be a warning to us all," said Kenneth.

On January 29 Gwyn, who was a carer for Selwyn who had suffered a series of strokes, again visited at The Mill Tavern and ordered steak and chips, the hearing at Ruthin was told.

He began eating his meal then went to the toilet, where he was sick, and returned to the bar where he began choking.

A customer patted him on the back and another then attempted the Heimlich manoeuvre, dislodging a small piece of meat.

When paramedics arrived they also managed to remove a small piece of meat but when it became clear that Mr Francis' airway was still blocked they carried out an emergency tracheotomy.

He was taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital but remained in a coma and died on February 6.

The cause of death was given as hypoxic brain injury due to cardiac arrest caused by an obstructed airway.

John Gittins, coroner for North Wales (East and Central), recorded a conclusion of accidental death on r Francis, of Ffordd Llewelyn, Flint.

Kenneth Francis told the hearing he had been led to believe no-one present at the Northop Road pub at the time had felt confident enough to attempt CPR on his brother.

"But from what I've heard, that was not the case," he said.