A MAN pushed his partner over in the back garden and dragged her around by the hair.

Jay Lee Hughes also picked up a concrete block and held it above his head.

The victim jumped out of the way as he threw it towards her.

Hughes, 40, of Llewelyn Road in Tanyfron, Brymbo, admitted assaulting Carol Hughes, 45, on March 30.

Appearing at North East Wales Magistrates Court he received a 22 week prison sentence suspended for a year and was placed on 20 days of rehabilitation.

District Judge Gwyn Jones ordered him to pay £300 costs, a £115 surcharge and £150 compensation.

The Mold court heard the victim had not made a formal complaint, did not want a restraining order and wished to reconcile with Hughes.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson said the couple had been together for three years and had a two-year-old daughter.

The previous evening there had been an argument and in the early hours Ms Hughes was putting the dogs into their kennels.

Hughes was shouting at her, she climbed over a small gate and walked back to the house when she was pushed from behind.

Mrs Jackson said he grabbed his partner by the hair and pulled her around the garden.

It was alleged he raised his leg as if to kick her but when she shouted at him he put his leg down.

He then raised a concrete block over his head.

She jumped out of the way as he threw it towards her and she ran through the house and banged on a friend's door.

The victim had mud on her clothes but was not injured.

When she returned to the house she found a rear window had been smashed and a crowbar which was normally in the back garden by the shed was on the stairs.

Hughes later told how he had smashed the window to get back in because the children were in the house alone.

Hughes had initially pleaded not guilty but changed his plea on the day of trial.

Solicitor Emma Simoes, defending, said thankfully there were no injuries.

It had been an isolated incident and the complainant had made it clear that she wanted a reconciliation.

While Hughes was no stranger to the courts, Miss Simoes said since a lengthy sentence in 2013 he had avoided trouble.

"Both parties want to put this behind them and move on," she explained.

The birth of his daughter had been a turning point in his life.

She said Hughes had also been affected by the fact that his mother was seriously ill.

District Judge Gwyn Jones said immediate custody was more than justified for what was an unprovoked attack.

The victim had been on the floor and must have been terrified, he said.