A MAN bit a security guard after trying to steal a carrier bag full of alcohol, a court heard.

Paul James Thompson, aged 53 and of Scotch Barn Lane in Prescot, appeared at Mold Magistrates Court on Monday for sentence.

He had previously admitted to having stolen alcohol including champagne worth more than £110 from Tesco in Crescent Road, Wrexham, on June 6 this year.

Thompson had also been found guilty at trial of assault by beating involving the store’s security officer Chloe Moss on the same date.

Prosecutor Rhian Jones told the court that on the day of the incident Thompson was seen leaving Tesco with a carrier bag full of items.

Ms Moss pursued him and asked him to return to the store, but he became obstructive.

She and a colleague were escorting Thompson back inside when he turned and bit her hand, Miss Jackson explained.

Following the incident he was abusive to staff and was taken to the store’s security office, where police dealt with him.

Probation officer Tracey Flavell told the court that at interview Thompson had not shown remorse for the injuries to Ms Moss’ hand.

He in fact maintained he had not bitten her, Ms Flavell told the court, and said he intended to appeal the conviction.

Ms Flavell explained: “He is living with his daughter in Merseyside and is unemployed.

“He reported he was out drinking in Wrexham on the day of the offence. He had consumed about three or four pints of lager.

“Mr Thompson admitted he does drink regularly since being unemployed but he does not identify alcohol to be an issue.

“He was not able to explain why he attempted to steal such a large amount of alcohol.”

Euros Jones, defending, said: “Mr Thompson has instructed me to appeal the decision.

“He is somewhat annoyed with the situation - he is adamant he did not bite the security guard.

“He admits he stole and struggled with her, but he denies the bite.”

Geoff Bull, chairman of the Magistrates, ordered Thompson to pay a fine of £40, prosecution costs of £620 and a community order charge of £85.

He also handed Thompson a 12 month community order.