A SEX offender changed his name, moved to Wales and volunteered at a rugby club.

Liam Parry was involved in children's rugby at Mold Rugby Club, which was unaware of his background.

Parry, 38, of Well Street in Buckley, appeared at Mold Crown Court where he admitted he had breached his sexual offences prevention order between January 2015 and August 2017 by taking part in a children's rugby club which he was prohibited from doing under the terms of the order made in York in January 2012.

He had been jailed at that time following offences against a child he met at a karate club and he was on the sex offender register for life.

Parry admitted three charges of failing to comply with the notification requirements when in 2017 he failed to inform police about his new passport and that he travelled abroad to Gran Canaria in the summer of 2017 and the summer of 2018 without notifying the police.

He denied two further charges of failing to comply by staying at Haven holiday park in Scarborough, Yorkshire with his family when the rugby team had gone there in March 2018, and failing to notify police that a child had stayed at his home last November.

These allegations were not pursued and were allowed to remain on the file.

It was accepted in his basis of plea that he had got involved with the rugby club and became drawn in to help with training and other matters.

Judge Niclas Parry said the defendant had become far more than a spectator and had become involved in training and mentoring and organising activities.

Barrister Simon Gurney, defending, said that was true to a certain extent.

He stressed that his client had not had any unsupervised contact with children while volunteering at the club.

In his basis of plea Parry said the police were aware of his change of name.

The judge said that the defendant was in difficulty and asked if he wanted to be sentenced immediately, but agreed to a defence application for a pre-sentence report.

Judge Parry told the defendant he should prepare himself for a custodial sentence.

He was rebailed pending sentence on July 11.