A MAN who assaulted a Special constable by kicking him in the chest has been fined.

Simon Thomas Harper was told by magistrates that assaults on emergency workers would not be tolerated.

They said Harper could have received a community order but they were conscious of the fact he was hoping to get a construction job in Spain.

In the circumstances he was fined £416 with £85 costs and a £41 surcharge.

North East Wales Magistrates Court was told Harper was in pain at the time and feared that his leg would be broken as he struggled when being placed in the back of a police vehicle.

Harper, 34, of Station Road in Rhostyllen, admitted that on March 29 in Hafod Road, Wrexham, he assaulted an emergency worker, Special constable Tom Lawrence.

Prosecutor Justin Espie said the incident was triggered by an alleged domestic incident.

Police received a 999 call from the sister of a woman who asked police to attend immediately.

An officer was dispatched and he was met at the door by a woman and Harper was found hiding behind curtains in the living room.

He was said to be drunk, was arrested but resisted and showed aggression towards the officer.

A knee strike was administered when he refused to get into a police vehicle, a larger van was called and he struggled when officers tried to get him in.

When he got into the van it was alleged that he turned around and kicked the Special constable in the chest, knocking him back.

He also kicked the vehicle's cell door of the vehicle.

Probation officer Andrew Connah said Harper accepted kicking the officer but felt to an extent he had been provoked.

He feared having his leg broken by officers who were restraining him.

But Harper accepted it all came about by him resisting police in the first place.

He pleaded guilty and accepted responsibility for what had happened.

The Mold court heard Harper was employed full-time in the construction industry.

He had been with the same employer for four years and there was an opportunity for him to work with the same firm on a construction site in Spain.

Solicitor Andy Holliday, defending, said Harper's ex-partner's sister called the police.

Nothing had come of the original claims and Harper was quite frustrated at being arrested and did not comply.

"They were trying to push him into the van.

"His ankle was completely twisted around, he was in pain and he kicked out to push him back.

"There were no injuries," he said.