THE bomb disposal squad was called out and an area of Wrexham sealed off after explosives were found in a flat.

Pyrotechnic powder mixed with ball bearings were found which were not safe to be stored or handled.

Mold Crown Court heard streets were closed off and a school was told to keep all pupils inside.

The explosives were taken to a green area, buried two feet in the ground and detonated.

Barrister Anna Price, prosecuting, said police also found a number of weapons which were legally held, apart from one taser or stun gun.

Phillip Stephen Davies, 30, and his then wife Carys Davies, 37, admitted making an explosive substance back in April 2017 following a search of their former flat in Chapel Street, Wrexham.

It was accepted Mr Davies, described as a firearms nerd, had de-constructed commercially available fireworks and made smaller explosive items to flush out rabbits when he went hunting.

Carys Davies pleaded guilty on the basis that she had provided him with empty perfume bottles in which he made the items.

He received a suspended prison sentence and she received a conditional discharge.

Judge Niclas Parry said in the current climate of threats and fear "there can be no tolerance of the possession or storage of any explosive device, particularly in households close to where people and families live, and, quite rightly, a most serious view was taken of this case".

It was accepted that Mr Davies, of Boston Gate, Caia Park, had deconstructed old fireworks and created smaller devices to assist in the flushing out of rabbits when he went hunting.

"But it does not amount to the kind of grave danger to the public that the legislation was aimed at," Judge Parry said, adding it was accepted he meant no harm to any person or building.

One taser or stun gun device had been found but there was no suggestion it had been produced or used to threaten anyone with it.

The court heard Mr Davies had no previous convictions and had health issues and other issues.

While such an offence always had to be marked with a custodial sentence he would receive a 10-month prison sentence suspended for a year, with 30 days rehabilitation, the judge said.

Judge Parry told Mrs Davies, of Maes Meillion, Minera, that she would hand over her empty perfume bottles to Mr Davies.

That was the totality of her involvement and she would receive a 12 month conditional discharge.

The court heard the items were found in the flat where, among a number of legitimately held weapons, was a taser/stun gun which was not.

An officer recognised pyrotechnic devices which were potentially dangerous and unstable to be stored or handled.

Interviewed Mr Davies said fireworks had been left over from his father's birthday party and he had intended to get rid of them in a river.

Barrister Oliver King, for Mr Davies, said he was a gun nerd and the charge he had admitted was under the 1883 |Explosives Act.

He added the couple were now separated and he was living with his fiancee.

Henry Hills, for Mrs Davies, said she had purchased the bottles on Amazon.

She was a decent person of good character who had a difficult adult life and had four children from a previous relationship.

She now had a new partner and was engaged to be married.