A MAN from Wrexham has been banned from seeing his former partner, the mother of his child, for the next year.

A restraining order was made against factory team leader Royston David Wyatt, 35, at North East Wales Magistrates Court at Mold.

Wyatt changed his plea on an earlier occasion and admitted assaulting Julia Roberts at her home in Cefn Dre, Caia Park, on March 5 and causing damage to a door and greenhouse.

He denied a harassment charge and that was dropped.

District judge Gwyn Jones made a 12 month restraining order under which Wyatt is not to approach Ms Roberts directly or indirectly.

Child contact must be made via a third party, through social services or by order of the family court.

And Wyatt is not to enter, or attempt to enter, her home.

The judge said it was an unpleasant incident where the victim, who was vulnerable while looking after their child, had been assaulted in her home.

The judge said immediate custody was more than justified but he accepted that Wyatt had acted out of character.

Wyatt, of Montgomery Road in Caia Park, received a 16 week prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.

He was placed on 20 days rehabilitation and he was ordered to carry out 120 hours unpaid work in the community.

Wyatt was also ordered to pay Ms Roberts £300 in compensation together with prosecution costs of £300 and a £115 surcharge.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told how the couple had a four year relationship and they had a baby on Christmas Eve.

On the day of the assault he turned up at her home saying he had fallen off his bike and she was not sure if he was drunk or had taken something else.

She had been looking after the baby all day, was not prepared to give him any sympathy and asked him what he expected her to do about it.

It was alleged he got into a rage, was waving his hands about, he refused to leave and when she tried to stop him going upstairs he struck the side of her face.

Wyatt continued to shout but a witness pulled him away and when he was locked out he kicked the door and damaged the greenhouse.

In a prepared statement he said he had been to the Cross Foxes for his sister's birthday, fell of his bike and when he got to the house Ms Roberts started shouting at him.

Wyatt said he went to go upstairs to get work clothes but she stopped him.

Alun Williams, defending, said at that time Wyatt had a fairly substantial problem with alcohol.

He did not drink every day but was a binge drinker.

Mr Williams said Wyatt had a good work record and was doing well.